Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:43 AM   #1

Default Cars II - experiments, almosts, and oh-nos

I decided I'd offer a few more of the car show pictures. Some of these fall into the "almost" or what NOT to do category. Others are experiments and I'm interested in what your reaction to the processing is.

First picture - here's another one of the Shelby. It's an HDR which was necessary due to the lighting, but which also made for a distracting background and the car sort-of got lost. So I did some additional playing around with processing and came up with this - way over-the-top for me usually. What do you think of it?

Here's the original HDR photo.

I was so disappointed in my framing of this next one - I framed it tight and then when I saw it on the monitor, I realized I had (once again) rotated the camera slightly. The rotation correction cut off some of the picture - so if you are shooting cars, allow for some extra for mistakes! I thought this car was so funny, it has a cartoonish character to it. So even though I messed up the framing, I went ahead and tried another extreme processing method to make it look even more like a cartoon. Again, what do you think - did it work (other than the very distracting framing problems)?

Here's the original HDR version:

One of the vehicles had a beautiful paint job - it was subtle compared to many of the bright colors used on so many of these beautifully restored vehicles. In this case, I prefer the non-HDR version of the picture.

And here is the HDR version. I thought it didn't capture the feeling/what caught my eye originally. It shows that HDR doesn't always improve a picture.

In my other thread (the one with my good pictures), I mentioned that I too often stood in the wrong place for the lens I was using. I used the 12-24 mostly, which is very wide, and it accentuates distance/depth (opposite of a long telephoto lens, which "compresses" distance). Quarter view is NOT what you want to do with this lens, or if you do it, don't stand where I did (I did this several times without realizing how horrible it looks).

Last one - this one really belongs in the first thread, there's nothing wrong with the picture and it effectively portrays what I wanted to show. However, it's not as good of a shot as the others I posted in the other thread and there were really too many in that thread. I did mention it - this is the shot of the pick-up's engine that I thought was so small, compared to a later pick-up I had once owned. I can't believe how much empty space there is in the engine compartment!

Perhaps by posting these, the next person who goes to a car show can avoid the mistakes I made. And I'd really like to know what others think of the extreme processing I used on the first couple of ones.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:57 AM   #2

Mtngal, I am not usually too fond of HDR pics but the first one of the shelby against the B&W background ia way cool..........
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:01 PM   #3

The first HDR shot is stunning - just so beautiful. Love #2 as well. When I'm using the 10-20 I often leave extra room at the sides to trim off later, just in case. It also means you can trim off the worst of any distortion !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:50 PM   #4

Some more amazing photos from the master of HDR!
I really like the first one, although something about the shadow of the car doesn't look right...
Red "cartoon car" looks fine to me, despite the tight crop.
Both versions of the paint job look great, just different...
Old Truck does look a bit odd - like it was trying to turn a corner!
Small engine does leave lots of room to get in there & work on it!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:15 PM   #5

Someone else pointed out that the shadow looked a little strange, so I made a change to it. Here's the new version:

Do you like it better? I think it works all right this way.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:49 AM   #6

I for one like the changed photo and also found the blue shadow bothersome. In fact now I think it is the best of all of them.

To my taste I found the Red Buick HDR too overdone for my liking. The second one was more appealing to me (that's why they make chocolate and vanilla).

Lou

Last edited by Keltech; Aug 22, 2010 at 7:51 AM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:32 AM   #7

Well, Lou already stated what I was going to say so, I'll just say I agree.
Regarding the pick-up with so much room... yeah, I use to have an old
Ford six that I actuary climbed into the the engine compartment to work on it.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:30 PM   #8

Forgot to mention...
In the shot of the subtle paint job, I had to laugh really hard!
The reflection of the young lady taking the photo is... should we say, a rather wide view?
I only mentioned this because I know you're no bigger than my little finger and it just really hit me funny! That and getting back at you for the comment about the reflection in my zoo shot with the layered tank top.

While I will never have 1.5 mil for a Shelby Cobra, I did miss out on a chance to own a 65 Shelby GT Mustang convertible. Back in 1973, a partner of mine offered to sell me his for $500. Neither one of us had any idea of its value and all I knew was I had no use for his piece of junk car. Years later, I worked for a man that had one fully restored... last I heard, it was valued at $200,000

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 1:33 PM   #9

I've been experimenting with HDR on car shots lately. My KM has in camera HDR and watercolour functions, among others. Great fun. I like the second AC Cobra HDR...also the '39 Buick grille...front end.

Excellent. I would be interested in seeing some water colours of the Buick and the Cobra.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:51 PM   #10

ROTFL! You are just too much GW. All I can say is that since you know what a little slip I am, you can get a great idea how much curved metal distorts things. If you look closely, there's several of me in that picture, not only did it turn me into one big mama, it multiplied me. Magic car, that!