Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:19 AM   #1

Default Why I Love the Kx

Shooting a theater event, I wanted to see what the Kx could do under extreme conditions. I shoot with a low light prime normally, but this picture was shot with a Tamron 18-250 at full zoom at ISO 12,800 in RAW. Noise reduction and sharpening. Typical crazy stage lighting. Grammy Award nominee new age musician Gentle Thunder. Not ready for Vogue, but pretty impressive for a "Entry level DSLR."
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:29 PM   #2

Goodness that's excellent for 12,800 ! I rarely ever even go to 1,600 !!
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:53 PM   #3

Uhoh... good IQ for that high ISO, can we see a 1:1 crop please?

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:30 PM   #4

This is a lovely photo... and a great, great example of what the K-x can do. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:40 PM   #5

hhhmmm........... a request for a 1:1 crop................show us the noise in other words................many "great" pictures are full of noise( or film grain for older pics) those are usually accompanied with the brag about "there was really terrible light but I got the shot anyway !" or the " I meant to do that" of art photography. Truth is almost all new digital cameras coming down the line are capable of providing the average guy with above average shots. An average 100 dollar point and shoot can usually give you shots rivaling those of higher end film 35mm slrs of yesterday. ( I know this is just an opinion before somone shoots a flame at me) shoot i remember when autofocus slrs were very expensive and only a few folks had them. Then as the prices fell more folks had them and consequently more folks took better pictures. Now there are no more manual only cameras in the avaerage store. About noise or film grain? Used to be that only expensive film could provide low grain at moderately high speeds of 400 iso to 800 iso. Now we complain if an inexpensive camera that can shoot at 12,000 iso cant do it with out noise.......WOW .....a few years ago the above shot would have been an exceptional photo but now its " yeah its ok BUT show us the 1:1 crop" so we can say aha I see noise !! ANY camera that can give us the photo above in the lighting conditions it was in is a good camera......even if it is one that uses AA batteries...................LOL maybe my cheap KX is not as good as a camera that someone spends a kajillion dollars on but I enjoy it just as much as they enjoy their camera. And the KX is superior to high end DSLRs of only a few years ago.........would you really choose a two or three megapixel multi thousand dollar DSLR of a short time ago over a 12 megapixel KX that not only boasts an upper iso range of 12,000 but can also shoot hd video and can be had for around 500 bucks with a lens? come on.........who ya kiddin.........
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:47 PM   #6

before anyone else says so I know that my enjoyment of my camera is not indicative of its quality..........a toddler may enjoy his fake squeaky camera more than I enjoy my KX !!! ................although by comparison the toy camera may have a superior build quality..................LOL
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:31 PM   #7

@bock1965

I have a Pentax DL2 and I know the behaviour of the camera in the different ISO ranges. I often do available light photography. What's wrong in asking another forum member for a crop to see stuff from another Pentax body/sensor?

Stay cool.

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:11 PM   #8

Sorry I misunderstood your intentions.........................