Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 22, 2010, 2:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
It was great to see the clearing skies as well as the cleared trails! Now all trails are safe for hikers, so come and enjoy them!

Thanks for any comments, critique & suggestions!
It is amazing how you have one subject, and yet shot it in two different ways... really pays to do that, in my opinion... there is something about the composition of the second photo that really catches my eye. Love the blue sky... the clouds... and I, for one, really like old barns!

Thanks for sharing these, Mole. All the best. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:01 AM   #12

that last butterfly shot is gorgeous - nicely done!!
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:14 AM   #13

Awesome pictures again Mole, you are like the Eveready Bunny............you just keep clicking!

I think the old shed with the fabulous sky is my favorite but hard to not like them all.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:53 AM   #14

Can't pick a favorite, Mole.
I like em all! The first two web shots are standouts as are the last two. The sky is awesome with the wispy clouds making it perfect!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 7:22 AM   #15

Bock - Thanks so much! Am often "stunned" by the amazing landscapes of East TN.

Harriet - Thank you so much! You'll just have to plan a family vacation in the East one of these days...

Ned - Thanks for all your specific & helpful comments! I had a lot of fun watching that spider working on her web - and took way too many photos! I agree with the turtle shell comment - am still learning manual focus (and old eyes don't help!). So glad you enjoyed the monarch on the thistle - just a lucky shot before he left. And yes, I could not decide which way to shoot the barn & sky, so just did both... Will probably be taking lots more old barn photos this fall & winter, when there are fewer bugs & flowers to chase!!

John - Thanks so much. Glad you enjoyed it!

Lou - Thanks!

GW - My wife told me I missed an even more exciting sky. Those same wispy cirrus clouds were refracting the sunlight where she was that day, making blue sky rainbows!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:48 AM   #16

I am really struck by the last two - do I detect a bit of HDR (especially in the first of them)? As for the others, I have said it all before.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:16 PM   #17

Mole, as always, these are great. The old shed on the lovely meadow, with the stunning blue sky is my favorite, but all of them are great. There are thousands of hikers throughout the Southern Appalachians who owe you a great debt of grattitude. Your trail work -- and your photos -- are much appreciated!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:27 PM   #18

Quote:
And the Box Turtles were free to wander without fear of our clumsy human feet. (Look carefully for an unusual reflection in her eye!)
Mole,

Great pictures. The Box Turtle has particular meaning to me. Our family has an Western Ornate Box Turtle as our family pet.

Next month, we will celebrate her 10th anniversary with us. She's a shy little thing and has her favourite spots, usually hidden, but with her able to watch our every move...LOL.

I think that Box Turtle in your picture...would that be an Eastern Box Turtle and with the brownish eyes would it be a male ?

Also the first picture of that backlit spider web is stunning.

What lens and camera body did you use ?

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:28 AM   #19

Penolta - You are correct. Did a normal PP and also tried HDR, then combined the results. Still not real pleased with my HDR efforts, but may try some more this winter, when there's more spare time...

Mtnman - Thanks so much for your very kind words. I do enjoy trail work - keeps me outside all day, and the good feeling knowing that someone will have a safer hike.

Les - Be sure to pet your turtle for me!
Yes, that's an Eastern Box Turtle. For the Eastern, the males have red eyes, and the females have brown eyes. Did you see my reflection in her eye?
All photos posted here are taken with my only dslr - Pentax K-M. Both the spiderweb & the turtle were taken with Pentax A 35-105 f2.8 - my newest lens acquisition.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:46 PM   #20

Quote:

Les - Be sure to pet your turtle for me!
Yes, that's an Eastern Box Turtle. For the Eastern, the males have red eyes, and the females have brown eyes. Did you see my reflection in her eye?
All photos posted here are taken with my only dslr - Pentax K-M. Both the spiderweb & the turtle were taken with Pentax A 35-105 f2.8 - my newest lens acquisition.
I will...she actually likes to have me give her a bit of a pet under her neck and chin.

I think the Western ornate Box Turtle ranges is from South Dakota down to Texas.
I have a KM and a 35-105 A F 3.5. Very happy with the performance of both ....although my 35-10 is from '84 and it can be quite weighty on the lightweight KM.
Beautiful pictures...
Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote