Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:22 PM   #1

Default A Copse in my Compound

Not able to get out and about to shoot this week I thought I'd see what I could do inside the compound where I live. There is a little copse (about 200m x 60m) with a stream that runs though it and ends in a very large goldfish pond (big fish), before being recycled back again, in the centre of the compound. About 3 years ago I saw a pair of nesting kingfishers living there !

The first shot has been converted to HDR (8 shots - sorry about the watermark, I'm still in the 30 days trial run period) and the other two shots are just thrown in for fun !

I notice the site compression has caused a little detail loss & added saturation of the vegetation. All shots taken with K7 & Sigma 10-20.
Attached Images

Last edited by Frogfish; Aug 22, 2010 at 3:26 PM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:36 PM   #2

Beautiful compound, Kev. Looks like a nice place to shoot,

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:59 PM   #3

If you hadn't mentioned HDR, I'd say that the first photo would be perfect for it. Wouldn't it be possible to recover more shadows? The image looks pretty darn dark on my monitor (perhaps my monitor needs some contrast adjustments).

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Aug 23, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:25 PM   #4

Kevin these are dark on my monitor as well. Pretty shots when shadow highlights are recovered.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:15 AM   #5

Thanks for your comments guys !

It may be that there is a monitor difference because there is very little unrecovered in #1 (the others are non-HDR) on my Mac (I think I have mentioned before that the Mac monitor is very bright compared to our other laptops in our house; a Dell, Sony & Acer).

However I've also just looked at the original Tiff version before conversion to jpg and there is a remarkable difference (conversion done by Photomatrix), it's far more detailed and the luminancy is higher.

So I've just taken a screen grab so you can compare that to the one posted above to see how the conversion has darkened the image - that came out fine. However when I reduced the size using SmallImage (Mac) ..... therein lies the problem - the image has been darkened considerably. I tried iResize too - same problem. I'm going to have to find a program that can resize images without altering the luminancy / brightness of those images !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:12 AM   #6

Try using Irfanview - it works great (for me) on the Mac (with Wine). (note that you will need MFC42.dll in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 for Irfanview to work, and you will need to delete the Irfanview.ini file the first time before you run it...)

These look a bit dark to me too, but very rich colors! Some very interesting angles too...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:07 PM   #7

How about Picasa? If it's available for the Mac, I'd give it a try. I always use it to re-size my images and have noticed absolutely no change in IQ what-so-ever.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote