Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:49 PM   #11

Thanks for the correction, Pen. I think you're right. I hesitated to name it because I wasn't 100% positive and that should have been reason enough to hold off! I looked this one up a couple years ago when I took my first shots of one, and after you mentioned the name it came back to me. For some reason the name Conifer stuck in my head.
The few I have seen before where much darker brown than this one and some were even green but other wise looked like the same bug.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I'm quite impressed with the Raynox and of course the 55-300mm ...excellent pix.

That's quite a fearsome looking insect, up close. Never seen one before. Do they destroy conifer seeds ?

Are they regarded as a pest or an insect that is more beneficial.

Thank you for the comments Les,
Yes, both the Raynox and the 55-300 have proven to be quite nice, specially for the price!

Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:04 PM   #13

Thank you Mole.
Yeah, cute but, it too bad its so destructive!

Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Is this the same setup that Harriet mentioned before, a reversed lens in front of a normal orientated lens?

Do they need to be the same focal length? I have a 50mm and a 28mm (which apparently is great for macro when reversed)

Can you give us a quick rundown of the kit you need, wouldn't mind trying this if the rings (or whatever) aren't too expensive.

Cheers GW

Hey Ash,
Yes, some what the same as Harriet's set up. What I used in this case was two 50mm lenses with a 49mm male thread to male thread adapter. it also works well with a 50 and a 28mm. I also have and adapter that is 49mm male thread on one side and PK/mount on the other. that allows you to mount any lens with a 49mm filter thread in reverse (by itself) to the camera. Along with a couple of filter size adapters like a 49 to 52mm thrown in the mix and you have a lot of various you can play with. Each of the adapter rings cost between $4-$12 on ebay so, you can get by on the cheap and still have a lot of fun.

Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Not to be critical, as these are great shots, but I don't think is is a Conifer Seed Bug (Leptoglossus), but a related Leaf-footed Bug of another Genus (Acanthocephala). In particular note the shape of the "leaf" on the tibia (second visible segment) of the hind leg. The Western Conifer Seed Bug is a Western species that has spread into the Upper Midwest and Northeast, but if it has reached south into Florida, it is only recently. Both of these bugs are considered pests. There are about a dozen species of these in the US; GW's may be this one (took me a while to find it). This one is a pest of citrus, not conifers:

http://hochmanphotography.com/2010/0...g-big-cypress/
Thanks Penolta. I wasn't familiar with this insect....could be because it's ability to camouflage itself, appearing as a leaf is so effective.
I'm in the western prairie province of Manitoba...which is a bit north of the upper Midwest states of Minnesota and North Dakota.....I wonder if it will make it's way north of the border...or maybe it already has done this.

We have a large timber industry dependent on a massive amount of conifer trees we have in the more northern part of the province. It wouldn't be good if this bug gets a foothold up here.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote