Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:30 PM   #1

Default Scales Moor, Yorkshire, England

Hello.
Few Photos from May, just managed to do them today. As usual when I finally manage to get out the weather is brilliant for hiking but not for photos, no clouds all day. These were all taken before 10AM. Exif is there.

Comments and critique welcomed.

I hope I haven't overdo them.

Greg

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:50 PM   #2

There's beauty in this stark landscape. The rocks are very interesting - what's the geological history of them? You've done a really nice job capturing a feeling of empty remoteness. Now I have a better idea what books that talk about the moors mean.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 7:46 PM   #3

What a unique area. I know what that kind of environment can do to photos so I spiced one up. Curves, contrast and sharpening. You did ask for critiques. Love the angle you shot from.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:45 PM   #4

These are remarkable photos. Looks like you were there on a beautiful clear day, but the wind-sculpted trees tell a story of very harsh winter conditions! I love the weathering pattern of the rocks. I'm going to guess that the rocks are sedimentary, and that they're a "mixture." By that I mean there are lenses of, say, shale mixed in with lenses of something like limestone. I would imagine that the shale would weather and erode more rapidly than the limestone, leaving the otherworldly pattern we see in your photos.

I studied geology more than 30 years ago, and over the years I've forgotten a lot of what I learned. But that's my best guess to explain the wonderful appearance of the rocks.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:59 PM   #5

These are great scenes. I like the desolate windblown landscape. The third picture with the large rocks in the foreground leading your eye up to the wind tortured tree I find particularly appealing.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 9:04 PM   #6

All I can add is, Me too!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 9:37 PM   #7
Super Moderator

some nice shots here. you used the rocks as foreground well.

#3 was the most pleasing for me.

as was mentioned before, a little pp can sharpen things up a bit and make them pop a little more.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:16 AM   #8

I can't add to what everyone else has said. Nice shots. I like the PP PBoerger has done - usually using auto curves and definition would take just a few seconds per shot and it seems to have made a big difference. Those rocks look like they would make a very interesting close-up shot just by themselves.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 4:15 AM   #9

Thans everyone. It seems all photos lost sharpness after resizing in irfanview, I won't use it again, full size they look OK. For some reason I uploaded one photo twice and posted it here like that, sorry. Here's the missing photo.

Greg

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:20 AM   #10

Thanks so much for these really fine views of an amazing landscape! As others have said, you have really showcased the unique geology and the rigorous climate.
Some great use of light & texture, especially in #1 and #5. Great mood in #7.

When you use Irfanview to resize, be sure to check "apply sharpen after resample," and be sure to use resample rather than resize. Also note that Irfanview can use many Photoshop plugins, including one called Smartcurve that lets you adjust curves as Pboerger has done...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote