Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:34 PM   #1

Default some birds

sorry that i havent been commenting on everyones pics, Ive been really busy but I am still checking them out.

I got around to resizing some birds I took recently. Theres tons more to come but heres a few for now. My laptops been dying slowly over past year so working with 14mp is viscious process. Hopefully Ill fix that soon

hope you enjoy

C&C Wanted!

1 and 3 im unaware of species, any help?

taken with vivitar 90-230 close focus, how i love that versatile cheap little lens. Ive got much better lenses but find using it is extremely easy and I pretty much never have to change lenses with it on.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:05 AM   #2

Great to see some of your fine work again!
Really nice expression and great composition on #1. And such clarity in the last one... That little lens does a great job in your capable hands!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:37 PM   #3

OK C&C it is !

First off I love #1 - however I would PP out the intruding branches top left / bottom left. THe face is superb in that shot so if you have a lot of pixels I'd crop into the face as an 8x10 with the eye on the rule of thirds top right junction.

#2 - cute, but the 2nd parrot on the left is killing this shot. Crop off everything from the right edge of the 2nd parrot's tail upwards OR from the middle of the tail upwards (to keep both legs of the prime subject) and then PP out the tail of the 2nd parrot by cloning.

#3 - such a pity ! Super sharp shot of a lovely little bird - but the branch intruding over the body kills it.

#4 - great sharpness ! Crop 8x10 leaving all the space to the right and losing most of the space behind the duck. Selectively lighten the duck's head.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:08 PM   #4

I really like #1. Tack sharp
I have know idea of what it is though. Thanks for sharing.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:48 PM   #5

thanks for your comments, these are uncropped so the detail is there. actually the yellow bird was cropped slightly but not much at all.

I try to shoot without cropping if possible but i suppose my composition skills need some work, i do appreciate the info and kind words.

I actually had the duck cropped to start but thought the symmetry of the wave pool was lost and so were alot of the reflective colors, which i think add ambience.

The shot IMO works because of the colors, and shapes, not cuz the duck is there so I didnt want to center the shot around him. Just my opinion tho, and i do value yours

I agree about the yellow bird and branch however if i threw away all my shots with imperfections, well I wouldnt have shots!

:-)
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:17 PM   #6

i got a resizing of that bird, is this closer to, frogfish?
I dont like how the cropping tool in cs4 doesnt auto show guide rulers

this one was just cropped in mspaint, i was too lazy and didnt go back to the raw to crop. it shows,

this one i didnt make the same mistake

heres some others I didnt get to posting before,

this is in the pigeon family, the size of a large turkey. It moved its head very suddenly and its plumes were incredibly difficult to retain even the the slightest bit sharp.

i think this could be catch in focus? This shot was difficult for me with a large manual zoom lens, and this family was on a mission. I got three keepers somehow (luck?) but the others the main ducks head was tilted to the side and this showed more of an impact.

this guy here allowed me to get a series of his call, but I enjoyed this one the most with his expression, fixed on me. I wasnt sure how to compose this one with him leaning towards the tree.

Again if you have framing suggestions please let me know

thanks for looking
Old Aug 26, 2010, 6:23 AM   #7

Duck - quite understand and you are right - the ripples do add to the shot. Could you lighten the duck's head ?

Parrot - not quite what I was thinking. See below. It is a tough shot to edit for sure.

Unknown bird - I like your crop a lot. Another potential version below.

New 3 shots. Unfortunately the blur (#4) and the blur & tree (#6) detract from those shots. The duck family is an absolute winner though ! Work on touching it up in PP and print to hang on your wall !
Attached Images

Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:54 AM   #8

thanks frogfish, yes the blue bird with red eyes, I think I took over thirty pics of before I got one where his head wasn't a blue streak!

That one suffered from him still moving, really tells me I shoulda either brought the 200 2.8 or, I should buy the da*300.. im trying not to spend money but gosh I want that lens bad and almost throwing myself excuses.

thanks about the duck shot, what did u have in mind for further PP on that one?

I actually did brighten that one a bit because the bridge we were standing on was not only under heavy clouds but trees as well and there wasnt much light

Do you suggest darkening up the floor? Also, the bridge was painted stark white, so these aren't blown out natural wood

I do like your crops but it looks like the resize of them is over size limit? It seems to rob them of sharpness

thanks again for comments
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:33 AM   #9

The versions above : Yes, I'm afraid trying to work on 140kb files doesn't fly ! I'm sure it would work well on your originals though

I don't know how far away the blue bird was - within flash range ? That would stop him dead !

PP on the duck : just the usual (although I would try to lighten the head a little more) some sharpening & de-noise. Actually looks like it was raining when you took that ?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 5:12 PM   #10

The blue bird was about thirty yards away, i didnt have batteries for my flash.. which brings me to another question that I will post as a new post about my current flash unit.

about the ducks, yeah theres a bit of noise but If i were to print the PP'd raw, it wouldnt really be noticeable as my jpeg conversions never quite satisfy me.

It wasnt raining however i was under black clouds all day, i was real surprised it didnt rain but it was extremely humid