Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:18 PM   #1

Default World Expo - HDR

Yep - I know some of these have ghosting. I used between 5 & 9 frames for each of these so I need to go back and sort out which ones aren't aligned but it's late and I really need to go to bed ! So this is really a work in progress.

I have no idea what you'll all think so please tell me what you like / don't and any suggestions are more than welcome !

1. Library - no the lights aren't ghosted, the 1,100 sq.ft (ca. 100m2) room was 25M (ca. 80ft) high and there were lights over the books at regular intervals.

2. Bed for people with full paralysis.

3. Bottle crates.

4 & 5. Part of an exhibition on the structure of the city (Shanghai) showing the different types of pipes used in sewage, water, gas etc.
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:17 PM   #2

Really cool photos, Kev!
I can't comment on HDR because I have very limited knowledge on it but,
I love the colors. The only ghosting I noticed was on the pipes in the last shot but, I think it adds rather than detracts from it. Very cool shot, in my opinion!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:13 AM   #3

Thank you John !

I'm really not sure how these will go over so I'd like both positive and negative comments on what people like / don't like !

All these were taken with K7 & Sigma 10-20. Minimum of 5 and maximum of 9 shots per photo with variable shutter speeds of between 5 and 30 secs per shot. The rooms these displays are housed in are very dark indeed (impossible for one shot with flash), except for the 'bed' shot of course, but have coloured lights sweeping across the breadth of the walls. All processed with Dynamic Photo HDR which I think I prefer over Photomatix. It seems far easier to use and I really like the manual alignment tools.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 4:51 PM   #4

Its just a thought Kev but, if they were my shots, I'd enter them in the POTD forum.

Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:48 AM   #5

Really ? Which one(s) do you like best and which do you not like ?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I really like these alot.

You captured the geometry and the colors very well. i noticed some of the ghosting on the last one in particular and #4 is a bit soft probably for the same reason. but you should be able to sort that out easy enough. that said, They are quite impressive and i really enjoyed #1,#3,#4, the world expo would be lucky to use these for their brochures and net-advertising. really nicely done here.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:11 PM   #7

Well, Kev.
Maybe just me but, the last two are standouts to me. The hospital bed doesn't do anything for me but, that might be cause I work for one.
I like the last one because its so unusual and has a sense of mystique to it with the shadows and ghosting. One thing about it, I don't think you'll ever see another one like it!

Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:06 PM   #8

I really like the first one, especially knowing those are all books. Very neat. You seem to be getting along better with DPHDR than I did when I tried it. I found the saturation and colors mostly too much for my tastes and I got frustrated with trying to manually align my pictures. Photomatix's auto align works reasonably well for me (and I often hand-hold my series) and I don't have to do anything about it myself. You seem to have a much better sense of how to control the saturation and color than I did. But that's why they have different programs - not everyone gets along with the same ones.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:44 PM   #9

These are wonderful. I agree with GW about the hospital bed shot; that one doesn't really excite me. All the others are great, but my favorite is the last: the pipes with the ghosting.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I really like these alot.

You captured the geometry and the colors very well. i noticed some of the ghosting on the last one in particular and #4 is a bit soft probably for the same reason. but you should be able to sort that out easy enough. that said, They are quite impressive and i really enjoyed #1,#3,#4, the world expo would be lucky to use these for their brochures and net-advertising. really nicely done here.
Thank you for your kind comments. I'm really pleased to see that some people liked these, and I will be giving the alignment another go now that I've just bought the full licence for DPHDR.