Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:35 PM   #11

Thanks everyone, sorry about the tilted horizon, I had many pictures and little time to edit. Here is a young bald eagle (uncropped at 300mm) that I got pretty close to. He was just over a small rise from the Oceans Day feast and didn't seem bothered by it at all.
Attached Images

FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:39 PM   #12

Some came out in more traditional costumes for the Prime Minister's visit to add a little local colour. Here is an image from the feast, the local delicacies shown are dried Whitefish and dried Caribou.

BTW I am posting more images and information at http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/ so I won't be hogging space here.
Attached Images

FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Last edited by Monza76; Aug 28, 2010 at 1:42 PM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:54 PM   #13

Nice pix, Monza. Looking at the parkas the Inuit are wearing, it might be an idea to see if you can purchase some of their ware. Not necessarily the traditonal garb, but whatever they use on a daily basis.

Probably couldn't get warmer clothes when you brave the winters in Tuk.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 4:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Tuktoyaktuk (Tuk from now on)
What's wrong with Tuktoyaktuk?

Nice to see you're further north than me, autumn is arriving fast here and it's comforting to know someone is even worse off!

Looking forwards to your reports from a place so different from what any of us know from our own nearby's.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 4:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
What's wrong with Tuktoyaktuk?

Too long to say for us Canucks...so we call it Tuk for short. I live near a small Canadian city called Portage La Prairie....many just call it PLAP.

Nice to see you're further north than me, autumn is arriving fast here and it's comforting to know someone is even worse off!

Looking forwards to your reports from a place so different from what any of us know from our own nearby's.

Kjell
I agree, think Monza will be able to post many pix that are quite different from what many of us are used to.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:09 PM   #16

Your a braver man than I Ira for taking a job that far north. But the photos look good so far so keep shooting when you get a chance. Want to see some Aurora pics.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:27 AM   #17

Hi Ira,

Somehow when you said you'd be going north, I got the impression of south shore of Hudson Bay north, not Arctic Circle NORTH! I don't know where that impression came from. . . then I looked up pingos and the article mentioned they could only form in permafrost regions and I was surprised, then I looked up Tuktoyaktuk, and saw that it's coastline is the Arctic Ocean! That's a whole different world for me. . . and I now get a real feel for just how extreme this move is for you. My hat's off to you Sir!

I imagine the Northern Lights will be spectacular, as solar activity is nearing a 13 year cycle peak, so you should get some good chances at this. I'll be looking forward to this and some other unique views from this remote region.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:57 PM   #18

Thanks everyone, I have a Canada Goose down coat, the red ones you see in all the documentaries, so I hope it will keep me warm. I hope my equipment can manage the cold for some aurora shots, if not I may have to get the old K1000 sent up with some decent film, that could survive anything.

Most of the pictures are just snapshots so far, until I get the chance to do some serious shooting. Monday I have cultural awareness training where I get to learn more about local culture and customs, as well as a tour, including a natural freezer dug into the interior of a small pingo. Hopefully I can get some shots, will take the 10-17mm so expect some distortion.

Ira in Tuk

Old Aug 29, 2010, 4:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Thanks everyone, I have a Canada Goose down coat, the red ones you see in all the documentaries, so I hope it will keep me warm. I hope my equipment can manage the cold for some aurora shots, if not I may have to get the old K1000 sent up with some decent film, that could survive anything.

Most of the pictures are just snapshots so far, until I get the chance to do some serious shooting. Monday I have cultural awareness training where I get to learn more about local culture and customs, as well as a tour, including a natural freezer dug into the interior of a small pingo. Hopefully I can get some shots, will take the 10-17mm so expect some distortion.

Ira in Tuk
Ira,

My K10D and KM survive Winterpeg...the coldest city with over 600,000 pop. in the world...not something to brag about, but you gotta take what you can get...I guess

This past week there was an article about a Wpg. photographer who has an online business...it mentioned he goes out in 39 below...he uses a K7....39 below is way too cold for me...in those temps I just run from house to remote started car...LOL...Les

Your K10D is well weather sealed...don't know about the KX....and not all the lenses are weather sealed ...just thinking about times when it snows or it blows....

That 10-17 Fisheye should get some wonderful pix at the top of the world...esp. with the Northern Lights....
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:00 PM   #20

Congratulations as you embark on this remarkable adventure Ira. In the summer of 1980, a friend of mine bicycled up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik. He said it was the adventure of a lifetime. However, he had returned to more temperate cilmes by September, so he did not experience the Arctic winter. He came back with a sweatshirt that said "Tuktoyaktuk University." When he saw my puzzled look, he explained that the shirt was a joke.

Last edited by mtnman; Aug 30, 2010 at 8:02 PM.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote