Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:23 AM   #11

Looks like you did a great job under some really tough shooting conditions! You & the KX are a great team! All these are really nice - especially that 1st shark photo, and the 2nd bird.

I tend to use NR software selectively - for example, just select the background for stronger NR, and do "milder" NR on the subject...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Looks like you did a great job under some really tough shooting conditions! You & the KX are a great team! All these are really nice - especially that 1st shark photo, and the 2nd bird.

I tend to use NR software selectively - for example, just select the background for stronger NR, and do "milder" NR on the subject...
thank you mole, selective NR, thats a thought.....what software do you use? i am trying out Aperture, but I must say that I do not like it that much :/

just out of curiosity, how large could images with this noise be printed?
I have ordered some ordinary 11cmx15cm prints just to see how it looks, and I suspect that the noise will not be visible at this small prints
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:35 AM   #13

11cm x 15cm prints ?! I'm surprised if the subject is even visible ! 6,400 ISO in a nightclub wouldn't look noisy at that size

I love Aperture for everything except the NR - for that I use a plugin Nik's Define.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:34 AM   #14

I would like to chime in here only to say that beyond the critiques of noise I really like the images you have put up. They were taken under difficult conditions of some moving subjects and you have managed to get wonderfully framed shots with fine exposure. A little PP can take care of the other problems.

Nice work!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
I would like to chime in here only to say that beyond the critiques of noise I really like the images you have put up. They were taken under difficult conditions of some moving subjects and you have managed to get wonderfully framed shots with fine exposure. A little PP can take care of the other problems.

Nice work!

Lou
thanks alot....just got my 11x15cm pics back from the lab and all the pictures are stunning...i know i know, 11x15 should be a match but it was nice anyway to see that it is possible, now I know a little more....next try will be something along the size of 30x20cm with a "noisy" pic, like the bird or the shark....just to see how it will turn out..

now I will be away for a few days, I am going to a wedding, i will photograph it (just for fun) and see how that will become...
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:24 PM   #16

Glad your prints came out to your satisfaction!
Sorry to be late in answering - you asked which NR software I use - have tried a few, and find Noiseware Pro best suits me...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:35 AM   #17

Great series, really amazing iso settings.

Looking at noise reduction, I've been years a fan of Noise Ninja but with the new Lightroom 3 I don't use anything else anymore

Ronny