Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:47 PM   #1

Default Dust Alert

I really like the dust alert on the K20 and K7, use it often. How many others use it? Point the camera (with an AF lens on it) at a blank, featureless scene and the camera will indicate where the dust is.

Normally I use a card reader to move pictures from my card to the computer - I just copy the folder onto my hard drive. Doing picture transfer this way also transfers the saved dust picture. Why would you want a blank frame with a couple of black specks on it? Here's what happens if you choose a scene that's NOT blank and featureless...
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:11 AM   #2

LOL that's really cool, I would imagine you could abuse this feature and create some interesting "photo's"
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:09 AM   #3

i remember the first time i was playing with the dust alert feature, i hadn't read the manual and was horrified that my 1 week old camera seemed to have huge amounts of dust on the sensor already lol wasn't until i tried it again after using the sensor clean function a couple of times that noticed it this time it looked vaguly familiar than i dug out the manual and discovered you need to do it against a featureless white scene for accurate results then on retesting discovered much to my relief that there was no dust on the sensor after all =)
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
i remember the first time i was playing with the dust alert feature, i hadn't read the manual and was horrified that my 1 week old camera seemed to have huge amounts of dust on the sensor already lol wasn't until i tried it again after using the sensor clean function a couple of times that noticed it this time it looked vaguly familiar than i dug out the manual and discovered you need to do it against a featureless white scene for accurate results then on retesting discovered much to my relief that there was no dust on the sensor after all =)
LOL!! The same thing happened to me! Luckily, the first time, the pattern was recognizable, and I soon realized what had happened, but I was initially shocked and dismayed

I remember the angst that so many P&S shooters had about dust on the sensor way back when I bought my DS. I did have quite a few instances in the winter when I did get some on the sensor with that body, but I soon learned the drill of keeping the camera pointed down when changing lenses, and I've never had to wet clean a sensor yet (knock on wood).

The sensors are a lot easier to maintain now with the dust sensor and the sensor shake dust removal, but I still manage to get dust and lint on the viewfinder quite often. Rocket blowers are a great thing. . .!

I've not thought of using the dust sensor as a creative "filter" -- maybe using the flash, if possible, might get more content into the frame. Very cool idea Harriet!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 1:30 PM   #5

Well, Harriet, maybe what you you should do is start a new photo game called, Name that image!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 1:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Well, Harriet, maybe what you you should do is start a new photo game called, Name that image!
I second this idea!

Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:08 PM   #7

Leave it to Harriet to discover a whole new genre of photography!

Reminds me of the first time I tried the dust alert - was walking down a trail at the time - it sure found some unusual looking "dust!"
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:13 PM   #8

I can't believe I was the only one to see this as a possible creative tool. It doesn't seem to be predictable what you'll get - in the case above, it's a palm tree (shooting up). I was surprised that I got what I did - I'm not quite sure how much contrast there has to be before it goes black. The first time I discovered this I was riding in a car and wanted to check for dust. I pointed the camera out the window at the sky and pressed the shutter, just as the car went under some trees. The pattern of the branches showed up clearly and immediately thought of doing something like this. I've tried a couple of times but without much success until this one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:37 AM   #9

Nice result, never thought of it as a creative tool.