Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:49 PM   #11

Fascinating story Pen. I am also surprised the squirrel was not intimtdated by the Coopers hawk. Many hawks prey on squirrels; how did this little guy know at a glance that this was not one that would eat him?
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Fascinating story Pen. Many hawks prey on squirrels; how did this little guy know at a glance that this was not one that would eat him?
I would imagine that the squirrel was a young one that didn't know any better - I don't think squirrels know that accipiters are bird hawks, and in this case the hawk might have preferred easier prey - it has been a regular here for quite a while, and the biggest things it has taken have been Mourning Doves. When the birds are absent from the feeders, we assume the hawk is nearby - they are very skittish, always on the lookout, and it doesn't take much to frighten them away - at least they have learned the hawk is a danger and know enough to stay away when it is around.

Last edited by penolta; Sep 7, 2010 at 1:56 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote