Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 4, 2010, 6:25 AM   #1

Default Farewell little buddy...

You might remember my on/off attempts at taking photo's of this cute little jumping spider that lives on the side of my conservatory. You might also remember the photo's of the larger spiders, also on my conservatory eating weevils. Well today, it breaks my heart to tell you that this morning, I went for quick stretch of my lungs (trans: cigarette) and found that these two favourites of mine bumped into each other. And did what spiders do best...

Farewell little buddy, you will never again know the thrill of hunting those little red mites, the warm light of my camera flash as I gazed upon you in wonderment...

I salute you little guy!

(supposed to be a salute, not a facepalm...)

A photo of him in his prime, enjoying a nice red mite:

Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2010, 2:22 PM   #2

* pulls out handkerchief and wipes away virtual tears * (to show empathy for Ash's sake)

I must have missed that last shot last time around - brilliant ! Stacked of course ?
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 3:06 PM   #3

Thanks Frog *sniff*

No, that last photo wasn't stacked, he only stopped to eat for about 2 seconds, so I barely managed to get him in focus for one shot.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:11 PM   #4

My condolences, Ashly.
I went out and immediately lowered the flag to half mast.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 2:10 PM   #5

Nice series of pictures, even if it is sad to see nature at work when the victim is a "friend" of yours.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 2:25 PM   #6

You wouldn't think you could get attached to a spider, but one of those little guys (gals?) used to keep me company on the "attic" wall in front of my stair-stepper while I was exercising. It must have been there for more than a year before disappearing - I don't know what it was eating, as I never saw anything else alive in there but an occasional silverfish - maybe little silverfish or dust mites? Anyway, I did miss it - there is nothing more boring than repetitive exercises - so I can sympathize.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 5:42 PM   #7

My deepest sympathies on the loss of your tiny friend - at least your other tiny friend thoroughly enjoyed his last moments!
(and I enjoyed your great photos of this sad story...)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:06 PM   #8

Hi Ash,

A very good job of documenting this, especially the "fangs" on the chelicerae that are usually not visible. . . but I have to admit this saddened me. . .

I can sympathize with you. I've been shooting Jumping Spiders more than anything lately, and have found them strangely compelling. The other insects and spiders seemingly have little distinguishing character, but JSs seem to be different. I'll admit to anthropomorphizing (attributing human characteristics to) animals, but I've found few insects or spiders that provide much to work with in this respect. . . except for Jumping Spiders.

They start with a distinct advantage since their big central eyes make them look much more innocent than sinister, and the fact that they are roving hunters make them more aware of their surroundings and bolder than most creatures their size. Since their eyes don't move (AFAIK), they sometimes cock their heads to the side, a lot like a dog or cat, and it's relatively easy to attribute surprise, curiosity, and amazement to the poses they can take. The thing is, they're so small that you don't really see this unless you're shooting close to 1:1 macros of them. . .

There were quite a few living in the cracks in the siding at my local Nature Center (I saw about 30 at one time earlier in the year), but I've seen fewer each time out. I'm sure that this has been the result of predation, but I've never seen any of it, so I've been spared, but I've only had a few occasions in the past couple of months to go and check them out.

I've also had a similar experience to penolta's, a small house spider that set up in a corner of my kitchen. I observed it over the course of a few months, and then it just disappeared one day. . .

Now that it seems to be cooling off somewhat, I'll have more chances to observe and shoot them, but I hope not to see any share this fate. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:27 AM   #9

Thanks all!

As sad as it sounds I was quite upset by this. Like snostorm said, they are more like a curious cat than a spider, it's quite easy to project a personality on them.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:53 PM   #10

Wow, what a stunning capture of Nature's drama. Sorry for your losss, but as others have pointed out, it's all part of the grand scheme
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote