Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:14 PM   #31

Sorry a late response to this but had some health issues in my family. The Bell & Howell seems to work better than my old flash with the K7. I haven't had a chance to use it too much but I did notice the TTL only worked in AUTO mode and not in Manual, AV, or TV. Anyone with a K7 know if there is something I'm not doing right or is it just the flash?
The flash is adequate though. Definitely fills a room. I tried it down a dark hallway in my house and it lit it up without bleaching the photo.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
maverick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:29 AM   #32

Are you sure the shutter speed hasn't creeped above 1/180? on my K-7 my Soligor flash won't fire at all unless it's on or less than 1/160 but on my K10D it would trigger at higher speeds.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:38 AM   #33

I settled on the Metz 48 AF-1 a couple of years back for use with my K100D, my choice was largely swung by an offer available in the UK at the time of 40% saving on the RRP(recommended retail price). There is a specific Pentax model, and all models have updateable firmware via it's USB port.
The user manual isn't the easiest thing to follow, but once you've got your head around it results are very good. I've been very pleased with mine ... build quality is excellent, I think I made a good choice.
IMO you should investigate possible use with the later Pentax models, I don't think you'd be disappointed. ... Jack.

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...formation.html

Last edited by jachol; Oct 20, 2010 at 3:41 AM. Reason: Add Link
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:59 PM   #34

@ Tachikoma,

Yeah, I've played around with it and its still not changing in other modes. It will switch to 35 mm mode and stay there unless I put the camera in auto.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:37 PM   #35

By 35mm mode, do you mean the flash focal length readout? Does it follow the lens focal length in auto mode? Some flashes don't fit the hotshoe perfectly, and need to be wiggled around a bit to enable full communication with the camera. They will still fire, but usually just at full power, unless you set the flash to manual and adjust.
If the flash motor doesn't operate when you zoom your lens in and out, this could be the problem. (assuming the flash head is in straight ahead position)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:29 PM   #36

Sorry, incorrect on 35 mm. What happens is in AV, Manual, etc. it will be in TTL on flash but will not change according to my settings on the camera, meaning the flash is not adjusting to the amount light needed, just firing at that setting (flash facing forward). I can switch to manual on the flash if I want. In Auto mode, it will zoom and change according to what the camera is measuring (TTL on flash), meaning the flash will adjust according the amount of light needed. This is all when the flash is facing forward. If tilted up, the flash automatically switches to 55 mm setting.

Last edited by maverick96; Oct 20, 2010 at 9:45 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:04 PM   #37

I don't have a K7, or the B&H flash. Use a *istD, and have a Digital Concepts flash, which seems to be the same as the B&H, or very much like it. It definitely works in Av, etc, with p-ttl, so I'm guessing it is the difference in cameras.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:25 AM   #38

@ Brian,
Possibly. I know the Promaster Flash series is not compatible with the K7 unless they've added a firmware update lately. Anyone know if the K7 firmware update addresses some of these issues? Thanks!

Last edited by maverick96; Oct 21, 2010 at 5:32 AM.