Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 4, 2010, 2:13 PM   #1

Default Mini video review for 3rd party K7 battery grip

Before I got distracted by the untimely death of my little spider pal, I was doing a mini-review of the cheap battery grips you see often on eBay. I decided to take a chance, figuring if it was at least partly capable then I can use it in Japan. If it wasn't, then at least I had the 2 extra batteries that came with it for Japan.

Mine cost 59.something shipped from within the UK, so no import duties to worry about. You can probably grab one cheaper direct from Asia and probably cheaper again without the batteries.

They say you get what you pay for, and this applies here, it looks pretty cheap, it feels pretty cheap, but it does the job.

Anyway, excuse the state of my desk, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVeAfIIxliQ
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2010, 3:42 PM   #2

Nicely done ! Yep I've got one of these (won't tell you what I paid as you'll spend the rest of the evening with your head in the loo - but hey I do live in China) !

As you said they do the job and cost next to nothing - I carry mine around on long days out in case I need the extra battery power.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:26 PM   #3

The big batteries looked like phottix. I have the equiv for my sony a550. i would never have spent the money on a sony grip. this inexpensive alternative does the job and as you mention in your video, enhances the grip. i like the added weight. other's may not. You mention that the pentax one shows two batteries and their state. the sony doesn't.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Nicely done ! Yep I've got one of these (won't tell you what I paid as you'll spend the rest of the evening with your head in the loo - but hey I do live in China) !

As you said they do the job and cost next to nothing - I carry mine around on long days out in case I need the extra battery power.
Haha yeah I can imagine what you paid locally, maybe you should set up a "Frogfish Exporting Service" for us cash strapped Pentaxians!

The biggest problem so far, as I mentioned in the video is the terrible build quality of the locking tag for the battery tray's, I can seriously see them snapping at the wrong moment. I might mod mine with a metal tag, dig out the Dremel and carve one out of some sheet metal.

Also I hate neck straps, so use a wrist strap and with the battery grip it doesn't fit, so have to carry something much heavier with no support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
The big batteries looked like phottix. I have the equiv for my sony a550. i would never have spent the money on a sony grip. this inexpensive alternative does the job and as you mention in your video, enhances the grip. i like the added weight. other's may not. You mention that the pentax one shows two batteries and their state. the sony doesn't.
Yeah just looked at their website, the grip appears the same as theirs.

The added grip is well worth any inconvenience that the extra weight adds. I have quite large hands, and just the fact my little finger isn't flapping around underneath the K7 now is almost worth the price in itself.

Last edited by Tachikoma; Sep 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 6:41 PM   #5

I have one of those Chinese grips for the Sony 350 that looks identical to the original, but it does not automatically switch to the fresh battery when the one in use runs down, and the LCD displays only one - there is a manual switch under the battery tray that you have to throw to change to the reserve battery. The Sony model displays both and switches automatically. I have also had other Chinese knock-off products that didn't work as advertised. You get what you pay for - [i]Caveat emptor[i].
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 6:42 PM   #6

Ash, I got one for my K20 awhile back and really liked it at first, with the exception of the battery kept falling out of the grip. Then it started acting up where it wouldn't make contact (electronically) and tell me I had a dead battery when I didn't. I took it off the camera hoping to make some kind of improvements to it and the next time I went to get it I discovered the battery tray was missing! Have no idea where it went or when I lost it but, now I have a useless grip.
I don't suppose I could find just the tray anywhere to replace it?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:20 PM   #7

Ash.
I have actually tried exporting stuff from China but I'm afraid the cost of the postage from PRC just killed the endeavour. It is much cheaper out of HK.

I also don't use a neckstrap and have a wriststrap tight enough so that I can just get my fingers into it, relax and then let it hang. I can easily handle it like that for a whole day - even with the grip on, my strap still fits - I see your battery grip has the screw mount underneath so if the wriststrap mounts by screwing on, as mine does, there shouldn't be an issue - obviously your strap is different.

Pen - the ones Ash & I have are slightly different to yours it seems. They have no switch and choice of battery is set from the K7 menu. One, the other, or both auto-switching. I do like the fact they can take either AA batteries or the Pentax battery ... so no excuse for ever being caught short !

Last edited by Frogfish; Sep 4, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Ash, I got one for my K20 awhile back and really liked it at first, with the exception of the battery kept falling out of the grip. Then it started acting up where it wouldn't make contact (electronically) and tell me I had a dead battery when I didn't. I took it off the camera hoping to make some kind of improvements to it and the next time I went to get it I discovered the battery tray was missing! Have no idea where it went or when I lost it but, now I have a useless grip.
I don't suppose I could find just the tray anywhere to replace it?
No idea, I would imagine you can find just the battery tray somewhere, how about emailing Phottix, they may be able to sell you just the tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Ash.
I have actually tried exporting stuff from China but I'm afraid the cost of the postage from PRC just killed the endeavour. It is much cheaper out of HK.

I also don't use a neckstrap and have a wriststrap tight enough so that I can just get my fingers into it, relax and then let it hang. I can easily handle it like that for a whole day - even with the grip on, my strap still fits - I see your battery grip has the screw mount underneath so if the wriststrap mounts by screwing on, as mine does, there shouldn't be an issue - obviously your strap is different.

Pen - the ones Ash & I have are slightly different to yours it seems. They have no switch and choice of battery is set from the K7 menu. One, the other, or both auto-switching. I do like the fact they can take either AA batteries or the Pentax battery ... so no excuse for ever being caught short !
That's a shame, there's loads of cool Chinese products I wouldn't mind trying out.

My wrist strap was contoured to the body, so with the tripod mount in the wrong place it just didn't fit. I just took my dremel to it and shaved it down, so now it fits. It's rather awkward in the vertical position, but I don't use it for portrait shots often, so it's not so much of a problem.