Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:07 PM   #1

Default Just got CS-5 quick review...

A couple weeks ago my computer crashed (my fault) and after re-installing my operating system, when I tried to open CS-4 I kept getting an error message and it refused to open. I searched top to bottom for my copy of CS-4 so I could re-install it. Not to be found anywhere! When I contacted Adobe for help, they told me they showed it was installed on 4 computers already and couldn't help me unless I deactivated them. My guess is my copy grew legs and walked off with one of my visitors. Unfortunately, I had the serial number and all the registration info printed on a sheet of paper in the case along with the CD.
While looking for my copy, I went ahead and downloaded CS-5 trial version and started using that. When I realized Adobe wasn't going to be able to help me, I decided to bite the bullet and get my collage student daughter the CS-5 and she kindly allowed me to have a copy on my desk top.

I wasn't keen on up-grading because of what I'd heard, the new features were mostly geared for web and graphic design and not much for photography. While that may be true, and I haven't had a chance to fully explore all the new features yet, what I have seen is pretty impressive.
Other reviewers have called it mostly "parlor tricks," I guess I'm one that really like those improvements. I haven't tried it yet but, have been told the HDR and stacking features have been improved, I'll report back once I've given it a try. The one big improvement I have tried and really like is called "content aware fill" its power is magic. for example: have you ever taken a photo that's a little off axis and when you go to rotate it to straiten it out, you have to crop it to get rid of the 4 corners of white space and discover that makes the crop too tight for a good composition? I know I have. Well, you can use the clone tool to painstakingly fill in the blank space or, in CS-5 you select the blank area, use content aware, set "refine edge" to say 10 pixles and hit enter. Boom! the background is filled in automatically and more realistic than I ever could clone it. Say you have a photo of a landscape, it will appear to grow more vegetation into the background rather than just cloned in.
Another improvement is how much faster it preforms compared with CS-4
Renderings that took a couple seconds in CS-4 are instantaneous in CS-5.
Just opening CS-5 is even faster, takes 2.5 seconds on my computer!
There is a lot more but, I'll get to it another day, its getting late.
Cheers,

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:59 AM   #2

It's both the content aware fill feature and the better HDR capability that I'm interested in. I've been reading about some of the other features and think that there's other ones that could be very useful too. I'm still thinking about upgrading, this time buying the creative suite package that has Premiere. I've always bought the version with InDesign and Illustrator, and I never use either one. I do use Acrobat quite a bit.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:51 AM   #3

Yeah, my guess is you'd be a perfect candidate for this update, Harriet. Lots more cool features to explore. and considering the huge student/teacher discounts it makes it doable. I only got the Photoshop Extended as it has everything I need. if I ever get back into video, I'll go with the full package I'm sure.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote