Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:28 AM   #11

Hi and welcome!!

I am also quite new to the K-X ...but it is an amazing piece!
Just got home from a wedding where I took a lot of pictures, outdoors the pics are outstanding! and indoors we had only candles lit in the room....so it was difficult to take pics...but most pics came out great, especially considering they are iso 6400!!!
so the cam is great!
So just keep shooting
Attached Images

SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:13 PM   #12

Here is the picture. By the way, I already have it set to do Face Recong.

Last edited by raylee011; Sep 6, 2010 at 4:25 PM.
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:31 PM   #13

Here is Auto Mode picture.

Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylee011 View Post
Thank you so much,

I have another question now. Yesterday, I took a picture of my wife and my daughter together. The shot is that my daughter sitting closer (on the table) to the camera and my wife sit across the table.

I like the concept of the picture, but the focus is on my wife. My daughter is blurry. I was using the 55 to 300 Kit lens.

Is there a way to have it focus on both people?
I don't think you'd ever get that shot with both of them in focus. You'd have to have a large depth of field and that wouldn't happen that close up.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:41 PM   #15

Yes, what Mike says is very true. Note also, on your rose shot how the background is out of focus. Of course that's the way it should be, I'm just pointing out how the focal plane works. The DOF (depth of field) is dependent on the aperture of the lens more than anything and to get get a deeper focal plane in either of those shots, you'd need a much smaller f:stop (larger number) and more lighting to make the proper exposure.
Actually, the shot of your wife and daughter is nicely composed with the wife as the main subject where the eye is drawn first and the daughter as an added interest, she is still recognizable and adds a touch of curiosity to the photo.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:53 PM   #16

Thank you for the input. Now I have a question, and I've been playing around with all the mode today at home. I am getting a feeling of it.

My questions are:
1. Why is it focus on my wife instead of my daughter. I was using auto mode. Why would it pick her. I am just wondering. I just don't know if I will be able to repeat this again. I like the picture. Just wonder how the auto focus work.

2. How do I make the flower even shaper? Anything I need to change? I like the picture, I think it is a very good picture with Auto Mode and Kit len. I just seen other people pictures that are really shape and deep color.

Thanks

Last edited by raylee011; Sep 6, 2010 at 7:10 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:49 AM   #17

1. Unless you have set it up otherwise the camera will select the centre point - your wife looks closer to the centre point than your daughter (or unless you have it on face recognition and there is only one face in the frame).
Another possibility is that, depending on which lense you were using, your daughter is too close for the camera to be able to focus on her. If you were using the 18-55 this shouldn't have been a problem as it focuses down to 25cm. However if you were using the 55-300 it may cause an issue because the minimum focus length is 1.4m and she look closer than that. It could also be that whilst composing your shot you half depressed the shutter button and locked focus on your wife before depressing it fully to take the shot.

2. Quality of lense is the number one criteria for sharpness. However the two Pentax kit lenses are both good quality so you should have no problem getting nice sharp shots.
Every lense has an optimum aperture (F stop) where it produces the best, sharpest, results. Maybe someone here who has these lenses can tell you what that optimum is for your two lenses (probably between F5.6 and F8 but it varies for every lense). Again be careful that you are not so close to the subject that your lense can not focus properly (see point 1 above again). There are then many other factors that can affect the sharpness of your shot from the quality of light to wind movement or body movement etc. etc.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:31 AM   #18

Default Touch up using AutoHDR

I just tried a very quick touch up of your koala pic using the free AutoHDR program. (http://www.autohdr.co.uk/) It applies tonal mapping to a single pic. I used one of the presets (Natural), and this is what it produced.
It didn't pull out quite as much of the green of the leaves, but it did a nice job on the trees. BTW, this literally took me 5 seconds to set up, and about a minute for the program to apply the effects.
I'm getting close to buying the Kx myself, and this was an encouraging exercise!
Attached Images

mgvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:21 AM   #19

Noiseware free edition, auto color and Smart Sharpen makes for very good ISO 6400. You can get nearly this with ISO 12,800. RAW is even better.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
Noiseware free edition, auto color and Smart Sharpen makes for very good ISO 6400. You can get nearly this with ISO 12,800. RAW is even better.
very nice NR!!
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote