Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:36 AM   #1

Default Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse

Last year from our day travels we drove along the shores of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario to within a few hours of home and were able to visit just about every lighthouse along the way, but we missed this one due to some construction work being done at the time. Nice little lighthouse up on a rise of land overlooking the outlet of the Genesee River coming from Rochester NY and beyond. Free admission and you can climb up to the top of the tower while the guide is there. Enjoy!

Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:19 AM   #2

Coming from the Maritimes, I do like lighthouse shots. Is this one on the Great Lakes Seaway Trail? Living as close to New York state as I do, my wife and I have been planning to do that tour some day.

This July we were down in Portland, Maine and did a trolley tour out to the Portland Head Light. According to our guide, Michigan has the greatest number of lighthouses in the United States. Who would have guessed.

It is good that many of these old lighthouses are being restored and looked after by historical and community groups. Unfortunately, our federal government has seen fit to de-commission many of the active lighthouses on the east coast and replace them with unmanned beacons.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3

Yes, this one is along the seaway trail in Rochester NY. I should say the lighthouses we've visited are on the US side from Erie PA to Sodus Point NY. Here are a few:

Presqu'ile Lighthouse (Erie PA)

Erie Land Lighthouse

Erie Harbor Lighthouse

Barcelona Lighthouse

Dunkirk Lighthouse

Buffalo Inner Harbor Lighthouse

Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:51 AM   #4

Those were all Lake Erie Lighthouses from Erie to Buffalo, these are Lake Ontario Lighthouses from Niagara to Sodus Point:

Fort Niagara Lighthouse

30 Mile Point Lighthouse (Golden State Park NY)

Sodus Point Lighthouse

There are a few other lighthouses along the way but they are small or privately owned and difficult to access. I wanted a shot of the Braddock Lighthouse, but it's a private residence down some side road that you can't even see from the road and I don't own a boat to get it from the water side.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:09 AM   #5

Nice collection - interesting variety of constructions. Thanks for posting.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:58 AM   #6

Some really cool shots, Mike!
Really enjoyed them.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:52 PM   #7

Very nice collection of lighthouses. They all have such different architecture, lots of fun.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 4:33 PM   #8

What a great collection of photos - such diversity, and all photographed so well - great color, sharpness & composition in all of these!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 9:27 PM   #9

Thanks for all the positive comments. I really enjoyed visiting these lighthouses and if I get the chance I would like to see more. We have thought about doing a vacation tour of the Lake Michigan lighthouses but that will come in the future maybe when we don't have to take the kids who aren't particularly into it anyway. I'm going to throw one more in the mix, this one I captured last summer when we went to Baltimore, this is in the inner harbor.

Old Sep 6, 2010, 2:42 AM   #10

Really nice collection. Very interesting as I never get to see anything like this !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote