Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I put the kit lens on the K7 to play with it in good light tomorrow. I played around with it inside, but in rooms that don't have a lot of light. I could see the AF assist light come on and help lock focus - that's the first time I've seen that (I don't usually take pictures in such low light) and I thought that was very cool. I had no trouble locking focus on stuff at a number of various distances, including about 30 feet away. That was far enough to get the lens to show infinity, but all of this was in low light and much of the time I could see the focus assist light. It wouldn't lock focus when pointed at the middle of the stainless steel refrigerator door, which I expected - no contrast. It would focus when pointed at a door with a window in it that was further away and in very, very low light. I'll play around some at lunchtime tomorrow. The marine layer is supposed to be in so it will be very diffused, grey light not bright sunshine. That shouldn't make all that much difference.
Hi, thanks much. Here's is what I'd lile you to do. Set the lens to 18mm, iso to 100, and only infinity shots. Those are the conditions under which I'm having the most problems. Under those conditions, if I zoom in to as little as 20mm most of the time it will lock. Now I tried turning up the iso to 250, and the camera locked on just about everything inside, and out! So make sure your shooting at 100iso. I had a friend in Chicago try this with a k7, and he had a very similar experience. He never noticed it before because he almost always has his camera set to iso 400. If your getting the same results, then I would conclude it's totally normal. At 100iso, infinity, and shooting at 18mm you should discover a much more difficult time locking focus. I am using the latest firmware update.

Last edited by tony3dd; Sep 8, 2010 at 7:42 AM.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:47 PM   #12

I just spent lunch playing around with the K7 and my version 1 kit lens (originally purchased with a DS). I used both ISO 100 only and then several other ISOs later, to see if it made a difference. I used several different apertures, both letting the camera decide and making the decision myself. I took several pictures at infinity, then changed the focus to something closer and then back to infinity. There was only once that it didn't indicate it had focus lock, and that wasn't at infinity, it was much closer than that (and was another more or less featureless surface).

Now I have no idea how accurate the focus was. Sometimes the shutter speeds were way too slow for me to hand-hold (like 1/6 sec!) and I know there will be camera shake. A quick glance at the viewfinder indicated either camera shake or my lens is really soft at f3.5 (wide open), maybe a little of both. This is the first time I've used it on the K7 and it might be front-focusing a bit but couldn't tell for sure using the LCD. I know its accurate for the K100 but that doesn't mean it will be on the K7.

More this evening when I have a chance to review the pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 5:05 PM   #13

I have decided to pack it up tomorrow, and send it in. I'm also sending in the 55-300mm, it definitely has a decentering issue. It's all under warranty so what have I got to loose. I'll also have them clean the prism as there is a speck in there that does bother me. My next question is how good is this service department? This camera is in mint condition including the rear LCD. I sure hope to get it back that way. Any tips on sending this in would be appreaciated. I'm very unhappy with Pentax right now. I mean the camera , and telephoto lens both have issues!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:17 PM   #14

I sent my first DA 55-300 in for warranty work (decentering issues also) and they promptly sent me a new one. I got it in about 4 or 5 weeks, less than the 6 weeks they said that it would most likely take. I would expect that they would do the same thing with your two lenses. I haven't had anything actually repaired, I've been thinking of sending the K7 in for the servicing that's supposed to be part of the extended warranty.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:49 PM   #15

As a followup, the pictures were pretty much all in focus. As I expected, some had varied amount of camera shake and the lens is really soft at f3.5 thru f4.5 or so. But I don't think it's really front focusing like I first thought. It's not bad at f8 or f11, but I still have no particular desire to use it on the K7. But it's all right on the K100.

I wonder if there would be a difference between the version 1 and version 2 lenses. I'm assuming you have the new one - mine is version 1.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:39 AM   #16

Well, I sent in the k7 body, and both the 18-55 mm, and the 55-300 mm lenses today. Packed everything in side the original boxes, in the original packing, then inside bubble wrap in a shipping box. Should be fine. I sure hope they don't scratch the LCD screen. They claim about three to four weeks. I leave for Italy October 8th, I will surely be disappointed if I don't my camera. Pentax is already rubbing me the wrong way. I insured it for $1700.00. Just want to make sure they do quality work. I really was surprised to learn that Pentax doesn't repair their own products.

Last edited by tony3dd; Sep 9, 2010 at 1:59 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:19 PM   #17

I was also surprised that Pentax doesn't repair their own equipment, but the company that they had me send my camera to did a fantastic job. In addition to fixing the focus, they cleaned the camera and realigned the sensor which had always had about a 1 degree tilt to it (something Pentax said was 'normal' 3 years ago).

When they received the camera I got an email with a cost estimate (wasn't under warranty) and a detailed list of everything that I had sent in. They even listed the body cap, hot shoe cover and the fact that I had screen protector film over the two LCDs. They said I would get the camera back in 4-6 weeks, but I got mine back in just over 3 weeks and it seemed to work better than when I had bought it new. The sensor, focus screen and body were spotless, the focus was quick and sharp and the sensor perfectly aligned. I was very happy with the service.
Odinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinz View Post
I was also surprised that Pentax doesn't repair their own equipment, but the company that they had me send my camera to did a fantastic job. In addition to fixing the focus, they cleaned the camera and realigned the sensor which had always had about a 1 degree tilt to it (something Pentax said was 'normal' 3 years ago).

When they received the camera I got an email with a cost estimate (wasn't under warranty) and a detailed list of everything that I had sent in. They even listed the body cap, hot shoe cover and the fact that I had screen protector film over the two LCDs. They said I would get the camera back in 4-6 weeks, but I got mine back in just over 3 weeks and it seemed to work better than when I had bought it new. The sensor, focus screen and body were spotless, the focus was quick and sharp and the sensor perfectly aligned. I was very happy with the service.
Thanks. That makes me feel much better. I sent the body, kit lens, and my 55-300 lens because it has a de-centering issue, and was only under warranty for another 70 days. They should go over whole thing pretty well. I sent a disk of photo's along with a very detailed description of all my problems. I also asked if they would give me a call before actually working on it. I can't wait to get it back. Till then I have my Lumix FZ-30.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:36 AM   #19

Hope the repair goes quickly and well!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:41 AM   #20

Thanks. I'm hoping it will.