Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:41 AM   #11

Many thanks for being so patient with me, at times I am quite stubborn - sorry! Still I've got a problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Th.

#2 - yes the stitching is clearly visible. Look at the top of the tree (it's offset) and so are the clouds above it. Maybe going through the stitching process again will solve the problem, the software doesn't always get it right first time.
I added the two JPEG's from the camera (pano was done using the RAW's and I used some minor tonemapping - hence the more saturated look) so you can see for yourself... I still fail to see the stitching problems.

The tree is illuminated by the sun at it's top and is in the shadows below. The clouds look that way - I can't help it. Or am I missing something here?

Quote:
Rainbow - it might not have been possible (time, private property or whatever) but if it was me I would have been walking into the field until those overhead wires were not visible in the viewfinder. That's a lot of work to PP them out !
I am usually quite hesitant to step far into a field... but yes - I see your point. There is kind of a parking lot where I stood and I maybe was a bit too happy, that I managed to get a rainbow image at all - so next time I will remember that

Quote:
Wide lens. You could pick up a great M42 wide lens for very little money, under $50. Manual focus of course (and you would need an adaptor too) but that shouldn't be an issue for landscapes or architecture.
If you want to go for a more modern lense then I have the Sigma 10-20 and it's a wonderful lense at about half the price of the Pentax 12-24 which has the edge on it .... but not by much and IMO not for the price difference. There is a fantastic thread of 30 or so pages on shots from the 10-20 on another forum.
I have a 24mm Vivitar M - lens in PK mount and when someone offered a K15/3.5 a while ago for 400EUR+ I didn't bought that, as the 10-20 or 10-24mm lenses from Sigma and Tamron come for (almost) the same price AND get zoom range PLUS AF + "A" capabilities + are new and get warranty I'll probably bite the bullet and buy one of these.

Kind regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
some stunning skies,

the stich in nr2 in the clouds is visible, but didn't notice it before Kevin spoke about it. If you close a small part so it isn't so straight nobody would find it.

Cheers

Ronny
Thank you!

And please have a look at the two posted images (left and right part) of the pano and help me see the stitching problem, everyone but me sees it - that's weird

regards,
Th.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:16 PM   #13

Th. It seems to me that the stitching issue is here (see below) - the cloud formation changes dramatically from the left side of the line to the right, and the line is unnaturally straight. It also looks like the top of the tree has been offset.
Attached Images

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Th. It seems to me that the stitching issue is here (see below) - the cloud formation changes dramatically from the left side of the line to the right, and the line is unnaturally straight. It also looks like the top of the tree has been offset.
Ah, I see what you mean... the problem is, that was mother nature - can't do anything against it if I want to show the "real thing". Of course I could "beautify" the image so people wouldn't stumble about it.

I'll post a 1:1 crop of that area, taken from the left image. Single image, no stitching etc. maybe that explains it.

Thanks again for your patience.

Th.
Attached Images

Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:02 PM   #15

Yep. Can't argue with that crop.

Amazing that, until you see that 100% crop, it looks uncannily like a stitching error !

Sorry for wasting your time !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Yep. Can't argue with that crop.

Amazing that, until you see that 100% crop, it looks uncannily like a stitching error !

Sorry for wasting your time !
Nah... everything is fine! I started using M$ ICE aside from autostitch and sometimes ICE gives me some strange artifacts, as it doesn't blend like autostitch. At times I just shrug these artifacts off... maybe because I feel it's not worth to bother. I was thinking, that I missed such an artifact here and since I made the pano I thought I just miss to see it (you know what I mean - try to correct a text you wrote, you have a hard time to find your own mistakes ). That's why I was so persistant.

So it's really me to say thanks again. I think we're done with that

As for the "too green" request - here's the pano (almost) untouched, just the basic histogram / auto correction stuff from PSE. Not so eye-popping, but maybe more pleasing to your eyes overall?

Remember, this was taken in the evening and that kind of grass is really GREEN in real life to say so. You can compare that green to the leafes and the bushes and see what I mean. It really has some kind of "pale green glowing" amongst the other green shades. Postprocessing algorithms might get irritated by that...

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images

Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:05 PM   #17

A lot of programs (tone-mapping and HDR programs especially) tend to over-saturate/emphasize greens. I almost always lower the saturation of the greens somewhat when I'm using Photomatix. I usually use Lightroom for this because I don't want to lower the saturation for all colors, just greens (and occasionally blues). Otherwise I really, really like the sky, the clouds are wonderful.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:17 AM   #18

Amazing complex skies, and well-captured too. Funny how the natural cloud formation could look so much like a stitching "seam!"
Just to be different, I like the very green grass in #1, and do not find it at all distracting...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote