Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2010, 5:12 PM   #1

Default Rainbow and clouds

We had some nice clouds here over the last days,
so I thought I try my luck with a polarizer and a A 28/2.8 lens on my DL2.

The attached images were taken in the late evening and for some reason responded quite differently to nearly the same postprocessing - maybe an effect from the polarizer?

Then there is a rainbow image I posted in the landscape photography section, be my guest here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...ml#post1137782

Have fun,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2010, 2:05 AM   #2

Very cool shots - I like these a lot.

I do think however that cloud shots lend themselves better to landscape rather than portrait orientation and I'd have liked to see #3 especially in that format. Maybe the 10-20 or 12-24 would have been perfect !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:20 AM   #3

gorgeous shots, In my opinion, you should desaturate the green in #1 as it detracts from the amazing clouds. The sky could be a shot of itself but when you look at the picture as a whole, it seems to show 2 very distinct sections, and somehow the bright green wins with my eyes to grab attention. If you could get the grass to look like #3, I would want this on my wall, framed.

also, the stitching line is apparent in 2 towards the top. Not trying to nitpick, just really enjoy these and subtle improvements would go a long way

great job on all

Last edited by NMRecording; Sep 6, 2010 at 7:23 AM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:55 AM   #4

Beautiful panorama of the rainbow! When we were driving up to Rochester from Dansville on Saturday, it was a rainy morning, we saw a beautiful rainbow, I wish I could have stopped to take a picture but we were on the thruway and I couldn't stop. Pity, it was the most well defined rainbows I've seen.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:10 PM   #5

Wohoo... thanks for the nice comments! The hints and opinions are much appreciated.

As for the green grass, I'll see what I can do

I can't see the stitching line in #2, are you talking about the tree? If so... thats sunlight and shadow

The kit lens is my widest at the moment, but something around the 10mm would be nice I guess. Stitching is not always an option...

I added another version of the rainbow here. You can clearly see the second bow in the upper right corner. Done from 4 portrait shots. It really was a great view - those images really only give a hint on what the human eye could see.

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images

Last edited by thkn777; Sep 6, 2010 at 4:12 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:23 PM   #6

Really like these a lot, Th.
I agree with NMR regarding the bright green vying for attention over the sky.
correcting that should be no problem though.
Love the rainbow, what part of the country do you reside in?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:31 AM   #7

@Goldwinger
I live in Germany, about 150km west of Berlin.

Glad you like the rainbow and the clouds - it's a rather dry region here, we get about 65-70% of the average rain in Germany. This year we had plenty of rain and clouds, which was a nice change imho. I am looking forward to the late summer/autumn weather this year and hope for some "golden autumn" (late summer) moments if you know what I mean.

Have a nice day,
Th.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:00 AM   #8

Th.

#2 - yes the stitching is clearly visible. Look at the top of the tree (it's offset) and so are the clouds above it. Maybe going through the stitching process again will solve the problem, the software doesn't always get it right first time.

Rainbow - it might not have been possible (time, private property or whatever) but if it was me I would have been walking into the field until those overhead wires were not visible in the viewfinder. That's a lot of work to PP them out !

Wide lens. You could pick up a great M42 wide lens for very little money, under $50. Manual focus of course (and you would need an adaptor too) but that shouldn't be an issue for landscapes or architecture.
If you want to go for a more modern lense then I have the Sigma 10-20 and it's a wonderful lense at about half the price of the Pentax 12-24 which has the edge on it .... but not by much and IMO not for the price difference. There is a fantastic thread of 30 or so pages on shots from the 10-20 on another forum.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:23 AM   #9

some stunning skies,

the stich in nr2 in the clouds is visible, but didn't notice it before Kevin spoke about it. If you close a small part so it isn't so straight nobody would find it.

Cheers

Ronny
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:23 AM   #10

A big WOW on the rainbow HDR. The sky shots are very fine as well.

When I took my horizon to horizon rainbow shot in NZ it was from a boat and with a 10-20mm lens and only one photo. A lot easier than what you have given us here.

Nice work!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote