Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:40 AM   #1

Default Out of my head

I don't know why I called this Out of my head...I think because I was listening to a song and its part of the lyrics.
Anyway, I need some feed back on this picture. Let me know what I could do better to improve. I've uploaded different versions. Original, Cross Processed, Photo Filter.
Fill free to enhance
Attached Images

StyleXP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:35 AM   #2

I really like this, my only beef with it is how close the lions head is to the edge. I could be wrong but I cant help but think it'd be more effective if there were a good brick or two to the right (his left) of his head, both for framing purposes and just to make it more pleasing to the eye. Its the first thing that draws my attention and when I look, it just bugs me that its right on the edge. thats of course my .02

I do prefer shot #1, it seems to have a nice balance of color

I really like this one, tahnsks for sharing
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:21 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Firstly (and as anyone knows me will have guessed) is get your verticals vertical. You have two running right through the middle that show it is leaning to the left.

Next is the framing as has already been mentioned, leave more space on the right rather than having the head up to the edge of the frame. Also you can't see where the water from the fountain enters the pool so a wider shot would have been needed. Actually I think I would have stepped back and then zoomed a little to keep distractions out but also bring together the elements I mention.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:34 PM   #4

I also think it is too tightly cropped - it is distracting to have the only sharply focused head so close to the margin. IMO greater DOF would have helped, so backing up and shooting from a greater distance also would have helped. If there is no room to back up very far, a fun thing to try with this shot would be to use a split filter (if you have one) - these are usually used on landscapes to get both the foreground and background in focus; here it could be turned vertically with the line of the split along the nearest pillar, to get the more distant heads in better focus. As for the verticals, the line of tiles on the right margin is straight, but the farther to the left you look, the greater the lean - either holding the camera at a different angle or defishing the image in pp might eliminate that problem or at least balance the "distortion." Which lens did you use (did you crop this shot from a wide angle image or take it as a vertical?)?

Last edited by penolta; Sep 7, 2010 at 1:45 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:05 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:28 AM   #6

Interesting scene - where was it taken?
Will agree with the need for a bit more space on the right, and also like the color/tonal range in #1 the best...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:35 AM   #7

Hey Mole,

This was taken in an apartment complex in downtown Phoenix, AZ.