Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 8, 2010, 5:34 PM   #1

Default Eyes half shut (more golden hour)

Here comes my next attempt using a polarizer... that lil' gadget changes quite a bit in the image and I have a lot of fun exploring the possibilities.

These two images are from the same evening when I took my September monthly challenge pano - but to be honest I like these more than the pano as they don't have that unnatural uneven sky. #2 is high on my list to replace my current challenge entry... will think this over.

"Eyes half shut" is how you should watch these. I use them as a desktop background at the moment and it works really well on my 22" TFT. The images are a lil' small here in the forum - but if you watch them as you would in real life (you wouldn't stare into the sun with eyes wide open, right?) then they really "come to life" to say so.

Both were made from a -2EV/0/+2EV bracketing series, final postprocessing in PSE. No crop - this is how I took them.

What do you say? There might be some flaws, but I don't really care as the images as a whole work for me.

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images

Last edited by thkn777; Sep 8, 2010 at 5:41 PM.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:44 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

These do not show off the capabilities of a polarizer at all. e.g. reducing reflections, or increasing saturation (especially skies). Additionally, I find the lens flare to be distracting. But...if you like them, then that's what counts
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
These do not show off the capabilities of a polarizer at all. e.g. reducing reflections, or increasing saturation (especially skies). Additionally, I find the lens flare to be distracting. But...if you like them, then that's what counts
Hm,
it's not a show-off... and I know what you mean technically about the polarizer. For some reason, even for images that don't show one of the described effects, the photos come out different. There is something in the color, the contrast etc. - which makes them different.

I was thinking, that when I crank up the exposure a bit, a shot with polarizer would look nearly the same as without in situations where you don't use some of the described "special" features. So if there was nothing else a polarizer could do for you - it would act like kind of a grey filter for you.

After postprocessing some images I think, that's not the case, although you don't see the typical "polarizer effects" the image is altered in a subtile way. It's hard to describe...

As for the lens flare - sure, technically it's not a nice thing, but I think in this case it adds something, makes the images less boring. It's a bit like the little piece of debris in the lower right corner in #2 - which also adds something to the photo. Maybe a personal thingie. /shrug

But back to the track - what about the "golden hour" feeling in these images for you?

Kind regards,
Th.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:35 AM   #4

Very interesting color qualities - that "golden hour" tone...
With your HDR expertise, wonder if it might have been good to try several exposures - expose to get the sun itself looking more disk-like, and expose differently to retain the color of the landscape.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:54 PM   #5

@mole
Well - these are tonemapped HDR images as I combined 3 bracketing shots. I just tried not to overdo stuff - of course a more dramatic HDR look and feel would have been possible. I could play around a bit and see if I can come up with something more pleasing to your eyes...

@all
For now I just add a quick hand-held 3-shot HDR image (again -2EV/0/2EV bracketing series combined), that was processed in a similar way. I think it fits nicely into that series...

The current challenge really makes me going out and trying new stuff

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images

Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:32 PM   #6

Good evening,
here's the last addition to my "eyes half shut" series. Taken today around 7pm while I was on a lil' walk. By the time I was at the end of that road, the sun was well behind the houses... I just had time for a few quick snapshots.

-4EV/-2EV/0EV bracketing shots combined this time. I tried for a "smaller sun", which kinda worked. Almost no crop. The scenery in the image feels rather dark, but if I increase exposure the sun will start to "grow", so that's the sweet spot for that special reason. The grass in the middle was the dominating/only thing you could see in real life against the sun - so that's fine

Hope you like it,
Th.
Attached Images

Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:48 PM   #7

My favorite of this series thus far - great job capturing a very wide dynamic range! Wonderful mood too!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote