Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:58 PM   #11

Scott - I know what you mean about the various advanced features on the higher end cameras. But I've been shooting with the K100 recently and have been only mildly frustrated with it. Your type of shooting is more demanding so I can see where you might not want to give them all up. While I sure appreciate them, my photography is much more leasurely.

Ira - Aren't you glad you hadn't ordered that new camera? The kr sounds like an excellent choice for you!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:04 PM   #12

While I hope the Kr becomes a continuation of the Kx success, it's not for me. I love the small size and the positive qualities of my DS and it's 6 MP sensor. The K20D is a more capable machine with more and very useful buttons and wheels, but it's not a IQ upgrade, IMO.
As soon as I realized that the digital age means a new model every 1.5 years and not every 20 years as with the LX, I decided to jump every second new release of a new top model. Hence I have the DS (still use it, used it today), jumped the K10D, bought the K20D (have it and use it, but it's not a love affair as with the DS), jumped the K7 and now waiting...
So what I hope for is a K5 that is a significant upgrade of the weaker points of the K7: better performance in low light (the new AF system sounds promising) better dynamic range. But leaving the megapixel race (12 MP would be just enough for anything I can think of for my needs, I seldom print A3 prints) and keeping the body small (no need to change the K7 there!). I don't mind if it takes a little time (don't have the money right now anyway), only that they get it right. Listening, Tokyo???

Kjell

Last edited by bilybianca; Sep 9, 2010 at 3:07 PM.
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:48 PM   #13
Super Moderator

This KR looks very nice for you Pentaxians. A nice bridge between the KX and the K7/5 series'. I am sure these will be a big hit.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:25 PM   #14

Pentax has a very viable entry line up to equal canon's t1i and t2i punch, and nikon's d3100 and d5100 if it comes out. Nice to see pentax coming out with such strong cameras. Good for the dslr market, and the consumer.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:33 PM   #15

i'm personally waiting on the k-5 but if this is actually released first will be interesting to hear if the autofocus is actually upgraded - hoping the k-5 will have more autofus points and 3d tracking too but might be getting my hopes up abit much with that

the high iso would be nice too

but really want to see a 70-200mm f2.8 then i'd be happy
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:10 PM   #16

The K-r looks like a winner. It has been billed as a replacement for the K-x, but it is actually a step up. If you look at the Pentax website, both cameras are featured side by side, and the 8 newly introduced K-x colors are each marked "new" along with the three K-r colors. I don't see the K-x as being discontinued just yet - at least until the K-x sells out, upon which they will probably add the other sharper looking K-r colors which had been announced earlier. I do think they missed the boat by not adding a fold out LCD screen like most of the competition has done - if you have never used one, you don't know how useful it can be.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:40 AM   #17

K-r looks like a great camera indeed, and I'd surely find its extra features useful. But my K-M has one advantage - it's already paid for!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:30 AM   #18

Mole - when you go to replace your Km, you should make sure you get one that's weather-sealed. You, of all people, could sure use it!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:54 PM   #19

Kjell, I agree completely, I stopped upgrading with the K20D since I was waiting for a new improved DS, that I could enjoy as much as I have that great 6MP camera. So far nothing I see makes me want to invest in the new offerings from Pentax, but we shall see with the K-5.

I admit I have been playing with another brand lately and find it to be a giant step up from the AF in any Pentax (including the K7) that I have used so far. Also it is FF, which is far more of an advantage than I thought it would be, especially in the wide angle area, and the larger sensor does a great job of dealing with noise.

I still love my Pentax gear but I am getting frustrated waiting for a DS with a higher resolution sensor, with fast AF.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
While I hope the Kr becomes a continuation of the Kx success, it's not for me. I love the small size and the positive qualities of my DS and it's 6 MP sensor. The K20D is a more capable machine with more and very useful buttons and wheels, but it's not a IQ upgrade, IMO.
As soon as I realized that the digital age means a new model every 1.5 years and not every 20 years as with the LX, I decided to jump every second new release of a new top model. Hence I have the DS (still use it, used it today), jumped the K10D, bought the K20D (have it and use it, but it's not a love affair as with the DS), jumped the K7 and now waiting...
So what I hope for is a K5 that is a significant upgrade of the weaker points of the K7: better performance in low light (the new AF system sounds promising) better dynamic range. But leaving the megapixel race (12 MP would be just enough for anything I can think of for my needs, I seldom print A3 prints) and keeping the body small (no need to change the K7 there!). I don't mind if it takes a little time (don't have the money right now anyway), only that they get it right. Listening, Tokyo???

Kjell
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:19 AM   #20

Well,
I am still using my DL2 (didn't buy another body yet) and there are some things I'd wish for. It's not the resolution, 6mp is ok for most of the stuff, that I do.

- (a lot) better AF speed and accuracy, preemptive focus for moving objects or when you move yourself
- better high ISO performance (I like available light sceneries and have to live with very thin DOF at the moment when I want to keep ISO low. Also I've got manual lenses mostly and wear glasses - which makes (fast and accurate) focussing a challenge more often than I want)
- better dynamic range and higher color depth (like 14+ bits per channel - come on - it's just a tiny bit of electronics!). A friend of mine uses a Canon 50D and the difference in dynamic range compared to my DL is just amazing!
- shake reduction. I can handhold 1/6s and 1/8s shots with a good success rate at the moment, but I wouldn't mind some help in that area
- more speed (faster continuous shooting or bracketing shooting)
- more speed (for saving images to memory card)
- wider range of +EV/-EV for bracketing, also 5 automatic bracketing shots instead of just 3
- less noisy "click" (mirror sound), I know it's a mechanical thingie, but maybe one can dampen it a bit

I don't really care for a high end video mode, but a swiveling LCD with live view would be great (helps to shoot in difficult angles/situations).

That being said, the Exmor sensor and the high ISO performance of the K-x, coupled with the reasonable price is an argument for me. Weather/dust sealing would be nice, but I used my DL2 in harsh conditions and it still lives... so what? The K-x would give most of the features I am looking for already. You can't get everything anyway...

The K-r has the more sophisticated AF system AND a focus indicator (I hate my DL2 focussing at own will and without telling me where in AUTO mode). That would be the main selling argument over the K-x - the other improvements are a nice bonus. Also since I don't take part in the "body race" a K-r could be the better investment over the years...

I'll wait for the first reviews, maybe I'll grab a K-x if they become really cheap... who knows?

Regards,
Th.

Last edited by thkn777; Sep 11, 2010 at 4:24 AM.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote