Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Either way, I'll probably be getting a new body -- I just hope they repeat the 3 yr warranty thing --

Scott
A week ago Monday, I dropped off my K20 at CIRS in Chandler (Pentax's US warranty / repair center). On bracketed shots the overexposed frames started exhibiting extremely high noise, and then the noise started creeping. So in that I have had the camera about 18 months, the extended warranty was wonderful and very much appreciated.

After 12 days at the vets, I picked it up yesterday. It had a new main circuit board, new sensor, cleaned, new firmware updated, and set to manufacturer's specifications.

So essentially, the camera has all new guts within the old shell. Seems to work just fine. I am in the process of setting it up as it was.

The Kr seems to be the Kx with all the slight extensions that some folks were complaining about (focus points being displayed, etc.) and updated capabilities (higher ISO). For an entry level camera, I really do not know what more you could ask for - even a small physical form factor.

I still like my K20 and I hope that it continues to serve me long and well. Who knows about the K5 - just wait and watch....

PS - I see that for an additional $49 you can extend the warranty through Pentax. I am thinking that has got to be one of the best deals around (it was on their website).

Last edited by interested_observer; Sep 11, 2010 at 3:08 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
A week ago Monday, I dropped off my K20 at CIRS in Chandler (Pentax's US warranty / repair center). On bracketed shots the overexposed frames started exhibiting extremely high noise, and then the noise started creeping. So in that I have had the camera about 18 months, the extended warranty was wonderful and very much appreciated.

After 12 days at the vets, I picked it up yesterday. It had a new main circuit board, new sensor, cleaned, new firmware updated, and set to manufacturer's specifications.

So essentially, the camera has all new guts within the old shell. Seems to work just fine. I am in the process of setting it up as it was.

The Kr seems to be the Kx with all the slight extensions that some folks were complaining about (focus points being displayed, etc.) and updated capabilities (higher ISO). For an entry level camera, I really do not know what more you could ask for - even a small physical form factor.

I still like my K20 and I hope that it continues to serve me long and well. Who knows about the K5 - just wait and watch....

PS - I see that for an additional $49 you can extend the warranty through Pentax. I am thinking that has got to be one of the best deals around (it was on their website).

Hi IO,

A very good point, I'd never one to buy extended warranties, but if it's not offered free, I'll make a point of purchasing one if I get a new body. The free checkup and cleaning alone would make it worthwhile. I got the extended warranty for the K-7, and am going to wait until it's almost up to get the checkup.

It's good to hear your experience with CRIS -- sounds like they gave you good quick service.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:25 PM   #23

My K20D came with a 3 year warranty for free, but then I so far have never had to use it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi IO,

A very good point, I'd never one to buy extended warranties, but if it's not offered free, I'll make a point of purchasing one if I get a new body. The free checkup and cleaning alone would make it worthwhile. I got the extended warranty for the K-7, and am going to wait until it's almost up to get the checkup.

It's good to hear your experience with CRIS -- sounds like they gave you good quick service.

Scott
Scott, like you I too am never one to purchase an extended warranty. However, it was offered free with the camera, and I never knew it ran about $40-$50 extra. CIRS had the body for 12 days, while parts were being ordered, and it is apparently working like a charm now. Overall it was a painless experience. I will say, that at the about $50 level, I will opt for the extended Pentax warranty next time I am in the market for a camera body. I plan on exercising my checkup and cleaning in another 17 months, right at the tail end of the warranty.

One additional point. CIRS has a web tracking system, so you can log in and see what is going on with your camera. Its a very nice touch.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:07 PM   #25

I'm reading AA batteries. AAA would be crazy. and the lcd doesn't "articulate". for me, a deal breaker.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
I'm reading AA batteries. AAA would be crazy. and the lcd doesn't "articulate". for me, a deal breaker.
Hi Frank,

You are correct, of course. I changed the original post to correct this typo.

Personally, I have hardly used LV on any of the cameras I own that have the feature, as the stuff I usually shoot pretty much requires a real time view, but I'd probably find some use for an articulated LCD if it were included. If I did find myself shooting with LV enough to require an articulating LCD, I'd probably not be looking at DSLRs, and go with with one of the mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, but I don't see that ever happening for me.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote