Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:40 AM   #1

Default New Kr -- no longer a rumor. . .

Hi All,

Just got an e-mail from Pentax announcing one of the new DSLR models.

Seems like a significant update, though MPs are about the same, so I'm assuming the same sensor.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/K-r...nfamilyembargo

ISO to 25,600, so a 1 stop increase (probably in expanded ISO mode), I'm assuming an improvement in the processing engine allows the expanded ISO, but it might be an improved sensor. . .

SAFOX IX !!!!!!!!!!! new AF system!!!

AF assist light instead of strobing the flash

New Li ion battery, but also can use AAs -- a really good idea -- they should have done this with the K10 and K100 -- this would have allowed people to try the new dedicated batteries, and most of those who cling to AAAs would probably have been convinced by the improved performance of the camera, and this would no longer be an issue with some.

New higher res LCD-- the same as the K-7 -- for those who haven't used one of these, it makes more of a difference than you'd think.

6 FPS Frame rate, 1/6000 sec shutter -- maybe it'll be quieter too, like the K-7

SDXC compatible with a future firmware update

IR data transfer capability

visible focus point LED overlay in the VF for the reviewers. . .

widescreen HD video with sound at 720p and 25 FPS

Available in Red, White, and Black in the US

Looks like a very nice camera

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Sep 13, 2010 at 8:46 AM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:44 AM   #2

Hi again,

They also announced 2 new P&S cameras and a DA L 35 f2.4.

One of the compacts has interchangeable skins and the other is a 14 MP 10x (28-280mm eq) zoom.

I guess they're waiting until closer to Photokina to officially announce the new high end model. . .

Scott
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:10 AM   #3

Kr definately an improvement over the kx ....but........not nearly enough to evoke a rush out and buy response if you already own the Kx. Greater iso is cool but not many folks use 12800 now. How many are going to use 25600? 1 frame faster per second is cool but again not enough to be astonishing. I do like having a choice between dedicated and aa batteries but I still think the aa capability is a major plus. Visible focus points are a good thing for sure.
All in all the uprades are only "OK" . Over all a rather hohum step up.
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:27 AM   #4

Looks like a very nice camera. Fits very nicely between K-7 and K-x with, I have to believe, a k-7 replacement probably in about 6 months. Looks very promising - and, for those sports/wildlife shooters out there - a new version of the focus system! I'll be interested to hear how that shakes out.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Looks like a very nice camera. Fits very nicely between K-7 and K-x with, I have to believe, a k-7 replacement probably in about 6 months. Looks very promising - and, for those sports/wildlife shooters out there - a new version of the focus system! I'll be interested to hear how that shakes out.
That new AF looks to be the biggie - expect it to be incorporated into the new flagship model.

So now ........ where is the K5 announcement so I can start saving !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:22 AM   #6

The Body look just like the K-x, with the difference on the IR port on the side, and the assistant lamp on top left. The Li battery looks estrange, not the shape of the battery compartment Hope it will work on the K-x.
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus
http://razzi.me/zuken

Last edited by Zuken; Sep 9, 2010 at 9:24 AM.
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:48 AM   #7

While I agree that its probably not a big enough upgrade for many Kx owners to buy, but it's sure appealing to me. I've always wanted a camera with that Sony 12 mp sensor - it looks better than the K7's sensor. And it will be less expensive than the (rumored) K-5. Now I have to decide whether to buy a Kx or the new Kr in a couple of months. I'm leaning toward the Kr as it offers some very nice upgrades for someone like me, who doesn't have the Kx.

I'm really hesitant about the K-5. Granted, everything is rumors and who knows what the image quality will really be. But I'm not interested in more mp - 14 is actually more than I normally use. I really love the K20's image quality (still, though I hardly ever use mine any more). The K-7 was supposed to have a re-worked sensor with less noise - but that wasn't entirely true. While there is less chromatic noise with the K-7, there's more luminance noise and in different places. The pictures respond well to the new noise reduction software and the sensor captures so much detail that you are still left with outstanding shots, but I really would like something with less noise. The K20 and K-7 both have less dynamic range than the old 6 mp sensor, so more megapixels don't always mean a better picture. One of the things I've really liked with the 14 mp sensor is the resolving power - it captures a whole lot more fine detail than any of the early cameras. But there's a price to pay for adding the extra pixels, and I wonder if the K-5 (if that's its official name) will make similar compromises. I think I'm much more tempted by the Kr.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:52 AM   #8

This looks really good. If olympus drops the ball on the e-5, this is likely going to be my choice for a new system.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
While I agree that its probably not a big enough upgrade for many Kx owners to buy, but it's sure appealing to me. I've always wanted a camera with that Sony 12 mp sensor - it looks better than the K7's sensor. And it will be less expensive than the (rumored) K-5. Now I have to decide whether to buy a Kx or the new Kr in a couple of months. I'm leaning toward the Kr as it offers some very nice upgrades for someone like me, who doesn't have the Kx.

I'm really hesitant about the K-5. Granted, everything is rumors and who knows what the image quality will really be. But I'm not interested in more mp - 14 is actually more than I normally use. I really love the K20's image quality (still, though I hardly ever use mine any more). The K-7 was supposed to have a re-worked sensor with less noise - but that wasn't entirely true. While there is less chromatic noise with the K-7, there's more luminance noise and in different places. The pictures respond well to the new noise reduction software and the sensor captures so much detail that you are still left with outstanding shots, but I really would like something with less noise. The K20 and K-7 both have less dynamic range than the old 6 mp sensor, so more megapixels don't always mean a better picture. One of the things I've really liked with the 14 mp sensor is the resolving power - it captures a whole lot more fine detail than any of the early cameras. But there's a price to pay for adding the extra pixels, and I wonder if the K-5 (if that's its official name) will make similar compromises. I think I'm much more tempted by the Kr.
Hi Harriet,

I hear ya, and it's tempting, but I'm pretty spoiled by the handling of the higher end models since quick and access to aperture, Ev comp, and ISO have become important to my shooting workflow for birds. If the K-5 can get truly useable images with good detail at ISO 6400, and give me a noticeable bump in focusing speed, that would be enough to justify one for me. . . I've already saved up most of the money for one. . .

I'll wait for the first wave of professional reviews. I'm sure that with the criticism that the K-7 has received for noise at high ISO, the reviewers will be looking at this aspect of the new top model's IQ very closely.

If the new flagship doesn't give me enough of an IQ and performance boost to justify the cost, then the Kr looks very good. . .maybe even a red or white one.

Either way, I'll probably be getting a new body -- I just hope they repeat the 3 yr warranty thing --

Scott
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:39 PM   #10

Decision made, my next camera will be a KR. I might even consider a white one, seeing as where I am currently located will be mostly white in a few weeks

It does seem to have everything I really need plus a few nice extras. It can be my main camera while the K10D will be the "rough and ready" camera for severe outside work.

A higher end model like the K7 or its replacement is tempting but not easy to justify given my photographic budget. Better a KR and a new lens.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Sep 9, 2010 at 1:44 PM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote