Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:38 PM   #11

I never let the camera decide what focus point to use - it almost always chose the wrong thing when I tested it one time. I use the center point for focus mostly, selecting other focus points as the occasion requires.

Color settings (or modes) tend to be a personal choice. Since you are stuck on the deck, shoot using all of them and see which one you like best. Personally I like the natural setting, but I shoot RAW mostly so it doesn't really matter.

As far as metering - either matrix or center weighted work well. I use spot metering for flowers or in some difficult situations.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:40 PM   #12

If you want to explore macro shooting, and do not want to buy a true macro lens right away. Get a canon 500D conversion lens with the 58mm thread. It actually does nice macro with the DA 55-300mm. It is about 70-80 dollars. I have tried it on my brothers k-x with the 55-300 and it is not to bad for macro. But a true macro still does a better job.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:18 PM   #13

Thanks to everyone - as you can guess, I will be out on the deck in the morning looking for any stray beast, fowl or bug that passes my way. Not even a moon tonight so that shuts that door.
Ex-Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:21 PM   #14

you would be amaze what the camera can do at 3200 iso and 6400 iso. Not having a moon, it will still give decent low light results.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:33 PM   #15

shoturtle - I took some shots at dusk with the K-x and my Canon S3 IS and the difference was amazing. I sure am happy that I went with the DSLR rather than another point and shoot. As you know, the newest point and shoot units are between $400 and $500. Back in my old 35mm Minolta days I shot a lot of Extrachrome and really loved using natural light. In my opinion the K-x the camera that most meets my needs.

Kenny
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:48 PM   #16

I am a big low light shooter. The K-x is fantastic in that regards
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:49 AM   #17

I too "graduated" from a Powershot S3 IS to a Pentax DSLR (the K-M) about a year and a half ago. The tonal range & quality are so much better!
Sounds like you are off to a great start. One small piece of advice, as you take LOTS of photos, and try different settings... When you are reviewing your photos on your computer, be sure to check the EXIF data on the ones that you like (and the ones you dislike), to see which settings worked best in each situation. This will help you perfect your technical skills much faster. And don't be afraid to try out a range of manual settings (F stop, shutter speed, etc.), as well as manual focus.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:12 PM   #18

Still no critters in the yard today so I have been taking foliage shots just to get the "feel" of the camera and each lens plus fool with all the settings. One question - foliage shots with sun and shade - sunny spots seek exposed ok but shadows are very dark. I have been reading the manual about shadow correction and "D" range correction. Anyone have any ideas about this?

Kenny
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:20 PM   #19

with foliage and the sunny spots. I would meter off the foliage to keep them being to dark, which is not a big deal as the sunny spots are blown out a bit. Here are some examples of what I mean. The first one was meter in the center. The bright spot did not over expose, the foliage is very dark. The second I metered more on the leaves then the bright spot. And had a mix of dark and light leaves. The third I meter off the level only. Very bright leaves, but really blown out sky.
Attached Images

Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:38 PM   #20

Thank you for the examples shoturtle - Now I need to find out how you can meter for exposure in one spot - set it - and then compose for the photo. Or, just leave the auto setting alone and work with the manual settings.

Kenny