Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:23 PM   #1

Default New K-x here - I need help

New K-x arrived about 2pm. I spent the first hour unpacking, checking, installing the firmware update and reading instructions. My wife is recovering from recent abdominal surgery so I must stay close and therefore am limited to the deck. I am impressed with both lenses and must practice to get sharpness every time. Now the problem - no birds at the bird feeder - no squirrels in the yard - no hummingbirds at the feeder - LOOK - some ants on the feeder. Tried to take pictures with both lenses but not much in focus. Changed to spot focus and that helped. Manual focus would not work because ants would no cooperate and stay still. Question is - what focus setting does everyone use as default or do you change to match the situation.

Overall the camera is impressive - low noise level is impressive. It feels more balanced with the 300mm than it appears.

Kenny
Ex-Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:33 PM   #2

go with single point AF. If you are using the default. The camera my be focusing on the wrong subject. Also you lenses are not macro lenses. And ants are macro subjects. So that is asking allot of your kit lenses.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:40 PM   #3

shoturtle - I understand that that is asking a lot - but the ants were the only action at the time. Shots of the trees in my yard were fine but I am limited to staying on the deck. Do you have a K-x? If so what setting changes from factory default do you recommend?

Kenny
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:46 PM   #4

I shoot a k-x quite allot, as my brother got one. And with 5 AF point form factory default. you do have some miss focus if your subject is really small and do not fill the center AF box. So really sounds like there is the macro issue and the camera not picking up the right AF area to focus on. A sample photo will help see better what the issue is.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:26 PM   #5

shoturtle - A picture of the ant - I think you are correct - focus too wide for small item

Kenny
Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:44 PM   #6

Another close shot - better focus. Just testing the camera on items which were close to the deck
Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:58 PM   #7

your ant looks to be a miss focus. Use single points and you should have better results.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:02 PM   #8

Thanks for your time and advice shoturtle. I agree - a misfocus on the ant. Hopefully, I can get out to the mountains in a week or so and shoot some scenics.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:27 PM   #9

Glad I could help out.

You got a really good dslr. I am a canon shooter, but I recommended the k-x to my brother as it was a good dslr in a price range that suited his budget needs better. And it compares quite well next to my T1i. Enjoy the camera.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:30 PM   #10

grats on ur new camera, the more you shoot the more youll figure out what works and what doesnt. Shoturtle is correct about the subject size. Ive often tried using long telephotos for macro lenses because, well the magnification is seemingly there, but it never works like it should with a macro lens, even with the perfect focusing distance to optimize magnification of lens. Ants ARE tough, I often just stick in manual mode and keep one hand on the focus ring to adjust to their movement when trying to fire away.

Cant wait to see more from you and welcome to forum!
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote