Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:10 AM   #1

Default Playing with CS-5

One of the new tricks in CS-5 That I have been playing with today is the new way to extract an image and place it into another image. Its new and improved but, takes a little getting the hang of it.Seams to work pretty well.
Here is a quick swap I did taking the seagull from one image and placing it in another scene... comments welcome but go easy on me this was my first try!

Just having a little fun.
Cheers,

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:24 AM   #2

looks like it worked well! I have done this a few times but its extremely tedious when done manually for me (color mask and magnetic lasso)

both shots are pretty amazing IMO, well done
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:57 AM   #3

I was reading about how CS5 is so good at extracting things. It can deal with hair so much faster than with CS4 and earlier versions. Nice to see that it seems to work really well - you have an excellent selection around your gull.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:14 AM   #4

Looks great Goldwinger! cant tell with out going into the shot what you did! I actually thought twin birds different locations!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:38 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Looks good, was the gul taken from the first or was it in a shot against the sky or something?

I really want to get a better method of extracting things, even with mask pro I find it hard.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:38 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Oh, and I made your title read correctly
Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:23 PM   #7

never would have guessed that it didn't belong in that image - very nicely done!!
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:52 PM   #8

wow.

I am really really bad at cloning stuff in and out - so that is magic.

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:24 PM   #9

Thank you all for the comments.
Harriet: yes, this one factor makes it worth up-grading! well, maybe not just the one but, along with the faster speed and a few other tricks such as "content aware fill" and "puppet warp" make it worth the cost in my opinion. The fine detail you're able to extract such as hair is nothing short of amazing. here is a link to one of Russel Brown's video's that shows how to do this. He has quite a few interesting "how to" videos on different aspects Photoshop. http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-evan...ke-extracting/

Mark: Yes, the first shot is the original. I wanted to try and see how hard it would be to extract an image from a busy background. It is a bit trickier but doable. I did have to some manual work on the one foot that had such a dark background from the boy's clothing. If you have a nice solid contrasting background, it seams almost too easy! Thanks for correcting my title. Not sure what the error was but, I posted it just before going to bed around midnight and I was falling asleep at the keyboard.

BTW, neither of the photos were anything all that great to start with, I just chose them to experiment with. But, there is a humorous side to the last one, try to imagine if it were a real shot... I took the original background shot through the windshield of my motorcycle as I was riding along. I didn't look through the view finder, I just held the camera chest high and fired a shot. If that bird had of been there, we would have been it both been in a world of hurt!
I also used the original raw file to extract the seagull from and I see I did some different PP on it and that's why the coloring is different.

Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkn777 View Post
wow.

I am really really bad at cloning stuff in and out - so that is magic.

Th.
Hello TH, Thanks for the comment.
It really does make it seam like magic!