Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:34 PM   #1

Default Butterfly

Butterfly from the other day. 50mm reversed image not cropped just sharpened a little
Attached Images

bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:01 PM   #2

Nice, not easy to do. Highlights are a little blown.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:48 PM   #3

Nice detail on the butterfly itself, Bock!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:20 PM   #4

very nice, way thicker DOF than i ever get with a 50mm reversed
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 2:29 AM   #5

Well yes the highlights are blown pretty baddly. The composition stinks too. The butterfly was hanging upside down I was lying on my belly and the friend I was walking with was impatient with me stopping to take pictures #1 and #2 crawling around on my belly in public! depth of field (what little there is) was obtained by holding the apperature wide open for focusing then quickly letting go and and letting the lens stop its self down all the way to f16 and shooting at the same time trying to maintain focus and composition. Here's a tiny flower shot on the same day as the butterfly it was only about twice the size of a match head so I cropped the picture some for a tighter composition same locale as the butterfly also lying on my belly...........
Attached Images

Old Sep 12, 2010, 2:28 PM   #6

Much better to shoot by yourself, wouldn't want to embarrass your friend. I like your trick of holding the aperture open while composing. I'll have to try that sometime since it's impossible to focus stopped down unless your under a spotlight or something.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 4:33 PM   #7

Very nice shots - while your butterfly shot has problems, the detail in the butterfly is very well done. You are right about shooting with a reversed lens - there are some significant issues you don't have with regular shooting, and it's not for everyone.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 6:49 PM   #8

Thanks for the possitive comments guys! I dont always have time to shoot by myself so lately I have been trying to include my camera with other activities. I am finding out that unless there is another photog with you , whoever is with you is not going to have patience enough for waiting! Oh well getting in a little shooting time is better than none especialy if you can learn something from it.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:02 PM   #9

LOL! I know what you mean about others not exactly having patience. My other half only has a very mild interest in photography but if we're out together he likes to take along a camera and shoot away at anything that catches his eye (which is naturally pretty good). He has much more fun and has the satisfaction of seeing some good ones flash across the screen on my screen saver every so often.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:03 AM   #10

Blown highlights on the butterfly don't bother me a bit - it's great to see how much detail you captured, and how close you got to a very skittish subject (it's a silver-spotted skipper - usually a very shy butterfly http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=1905).

My family can certainly sympathize with your less-than-patient friend!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote