Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:39 AM   #1

Default RAF Leuchars Airshow 2010 - Part 1

This year the Royal Air Force (RAF) airshow at Leuchars airbase was celebrating the 70th aniversity of the battle of britain, for those that dont know this was hitlers campaign to gain air superiority over the english channel to allow an invasion of britain during WW2. Obviously the RAF won and prevented any attempt at invasion but at great cost in lives on both sides. It however was not just britain and germany fighting, many other nationals were involved including volunteers from the united states, and many of europes nations, who flew under the command of the RAF despite the US being officially neutral at this stage. Anyway history lesson asside the theme of the show the defence of the realm, past, present and future.

Sadly I missed the display of the Spitfire, Tornado and the Typhoon all flying together as the traffic was horrendous getting to the show, took 2 hours to travel the last 5 miles =/

but i did capture some nice images, the first was as i was walking into the shows just after the security checks and i saw the parachute display team coming down - was something of a hurried shot scrambling to get my camera out of my bag etc so...........

After getting into the show and making my way to the flight line and setting up my camera and tripod, the first display i saw, was the F-86 Sabre jet, here i messed up, normally i have my camera set for center focus point and when trying to track fast jets thats somewhat difficult, and i was shotting away and wasn't until i checked the images that i realised what a nubins i'd been so none of the sabre are worth showing - i've kept them since some are so so and at low res are ok so after setting my camera to auto autofocus selection the first up was the the
De Havilland Vampire

YAY!! some good images finally

Next into the air was a frence air force alpha jet - didn't really get anything to exciting here personally i just think the plane is abit ugly from alot of angles lol. So onward with the
Avro Vulcan Bomber

this first one you might have seen in my teaser thread

After the Vulcan was back on the ground Next up was the
RAF display Team - The Red Arrows

Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:40 AM   #2

Cont....

Up right after the Red Arrows was the
Typhoon

I love this next one - the heat distortions and the clouds - one of my favour shots from the day.

Next up was a Czech Airforce Saab gripen, several czech's also participated in the battle of britain fighting under RAF command

Saab Gripen

Then came the Battle of Britain memorial flight consisting of a
Spitfire, Hurricane, and a Lancaster bomber

Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:41 AM   #3

Cont...

ANd thats it for Part one, Hopefully part too will be as good though not looked through the files yet on the computer so who knows

Shall just add for those that are interested all images were taken with my Pentax K-7 and my sigma 18-50mm f2.8 (wider angle red arrow shots etc) and my Sigma 150-500mm
Pentax Photo Gallery

Last edited by John.Pattullo; Sep 12, 2010 at 7:48 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:53 AM   #4

Very nice series. I theorized in a series of essays that very few battles truly changed the course of world history, but that the Battle of Britain was a huge exception.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.
Winston Churchill
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:30 AM   #5

Very nice shots. Thanks for sharing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
... the traffic was horrendous getting to the show, took 2 hours to travel the last 5 miles =/
Every year, during the JSOH Air Show, for four days, traffic on I-95, MD-4, MD-5 and Suitland Parkway slows to a crawl as people pull over (Some actually just stop in the roadway!) to see the spectacle overhead.

Last edited by TCav; Sep 12, 2010 at 8:34 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:53 AM   #6

The Red Arrow shots are spectacular. I have not seen the Red Arrows since the 1970's when I used to go to the Paris Air show every other year for 10 years. Had also gone to Farnborough once and seen them there as well. They were always a show stopper. You really captured them perfectly!

I also loved the shots looking into the afterburners. Nice work! You had some fantastic old war birds as well.

What a great air show and thanks for bringing back the memories for me with your fine photographic skills.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:52 AM   #7

An awesome series! I've never seen your red arrows - now I'd love to, your photos are wonderful.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:13 AM   #8

spectacular series! thanks for sharing
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:35 PM   #9

Outstanding series, JP!
The Red Arrows are awesome!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 2:14 PM   #10

The Vulcan and the Typhoon turn and burn are both money shots in my opinion

I also like the Vampire image.