Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 16, 2010, 8:24 AM   #11

Great shots and fine use of that new glass! Love the butterflies.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:46 AM   #12

Well done. Lovely bokeh.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:02 PM   #13

You're a lucky girl, Vole. That's a great lens!
Good job.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 5:55 PM   #14

HI Vole,

Congrats on the "new" lens! IMO this lens belongs in the Hall of Fame for consumer zooms. They really don't get much better in this class. . .

Terrific series showing off this great lens!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:03 PM   #15

Beautiful photos Vole. I especially like the butterflies on the flowers. Those are very special.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:33 PM   #16

This is one of the best, sharpest lenses. I had the F version and it was my absolute favorite lens. The zoom mechanism broke on it, so I gave it to a friend for him to take apart (he's an engineer). He never quite got around to taking it apart, but he got the zoom working somehow. Then he hooked it up to a computer camera for a really, really long computer camera. I wouldn't be surprised if it shortly gets moved - he recently bought a K10, his first digital camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:56 AM   #17

Great pictures and super result.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:09 AM   #18

SSGal- thanks!
Sarah- Thank you as well!
Frogfish- yes, this lens is awesome! I would recommend getting it, definitely!
Mole- THanks!! and thanks also for your nature identification for me (as always) i am glad that these butterflies know that it should be fall, then, even if the temperatures do not : )
bock1965- thanks!
Lou- thanks!
Tullio- thanks! you are the second person who likes my bokeh. I have to admit, i am not sure how i am getting it, it just comes naturally with how i like to focus on things, i guess. but, i hope that i can continue getting this bokeh you are talking about, when i don't know hoe i am doing it!
Goldwinger: thanks! yes, i know i am quite a lucky girl!! Mole is just awesome : )
Scott: thanks so much! yes, i would put this lens in the hall of fame if i knew how : )
mtnman: thanks very much!
mtngal: question: do you know HOW the zoom broke, so i can avoid that with mine? because, that would make me really sad! and... i don't think that i would even begin to understand how to hook my lens up to a computer camera. i am glad that your friend has a real camera to use the lens on now!!
rhermans-thanks!
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:23 AM   #19

I have no idea how mine broke - just one day I took it out and it wouldn't zoom. The repair person suggested that perhaps I had dropped it, but I hadn't. So I have no idea what happened. The fact that my friend got it working again was really interesting to me - I hope he does get a chance to use it on the K10. It was by far my favorite lens when I was shooting film, incredibly sharp and nice bokeh. I often would use it as a walk-about lens (shooting long doesn't bother me at all).

It looks like you are well on your way of finding out how brilliant this lens is. Have a great time with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:59 AM   #20

Many accomplishments in photography have to do with the photographer more than the equipment. However, bokeh is attributed to both the photographer and the lens. Obviously choosing the correct aperture to produce an ideal DoF is very important and at the control of the photographer. But then there's the lens part of the deal. The effects of the bokeh have to do with the design of the lens (blades primarily). Not all lenses will produce a nice, smooth and attractive bokeh. The DoF may be shallow but the bokeh may not be as attractive, which obviously is not the case with your lens!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote