Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 18, 2010, 1:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Supershot and congrats
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Fabulous clarity and sharpness. Superb pose ! I wouldn't have though 1/250 was enough to stop a hummingbirds wings though - shocked. Congratulations on your sale too.

Selling : how do your prospective clients find your photographs ? Getty ? Zenfolio / Smugmug ? An agency or other more serious photo selling sites ?
To clarify on the wings: it was already perched and simply stretching it's wings, so the shutter speed needed to freeze the shot didn't need to be high. However, at 600mm, you'd better have rock solid support and technique when the shutter speeds drop into that range. I'm always confident of a sharp image at that shutter speed and FL at 600mm if the subject is stationary. Now at 1/125 sec. @ 600mm, that can go either way.

I have a Pro account with SmugMug - my website is a full customization that I did completely on my own, including DNS resolution to a CNAME (canonical name record). I am pretty conversant with HTML and can modify code in Javascript, etc. They have great pricing - Smugmug has excellent tech support and unlimited storage plus I can store RAW images with the Amazon S3 vault setup if I wish.

I'm not willing to be represented by an agency/website at this time. There are pros/cons to them - perhaps in the future!

Regards,
Marc

“The camera is only a tool: the image is the product of your mind and vision.”
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 1:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
Marc, as always, your photos are top notch. I love those FA lenses of yours and wish I could get my hands on one or two of them. Great job of selling commercial rights to the photo!
Thank you Mike. Patience on the search...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
All I can say is, Wow!
Congrats all around, Marc.
Thanks GW - I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Can't think of anything that hasn't already been said, outstanding shot, might have to remortgage the house to get that lens for myself!
Ah, save the $$$ and do other stuff with it. Live vicariously through others...

Thank you for the comments!

Regards,
Marc

Old Sep 18, 2010, 1:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Congrats!

How do you do it - while the equipment helps, it's not the whole story with your success. This photo is fantastic. But then, I always love your pictures.
The photographer's knowledge/skill, etc. counts for a lot in making the difference, regardless of the cost of the equipment. I also have a few genetic advantages that don't hurt the effort - the lab tests confirm this....

Problem is that I can push the camera to the limit & beyond on a regular basis. I'm very curious to see how the upcoming K5 pans out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
I'm glad that someone with paying capacities enjoyed the picture as much as I did when I saw it the first time (still do, of course). Glad you could sell it on just terms as well.
Even if the main credits remain with the photographer and not the equipment, I hope you don't copyright the right to tell the world it was shot with Pentax gear .

Kjell
Thank you Kjell! Glad you enjoyed the photo and I promise to not disclose the truth about the equipment - they certainly didn't care...

Old Sep 18, 2010, 1:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcis Oblivion View Post
Great image Marc and congrats on the sale. If you don't mind me asking how much was this image worth? The reason I ask is that years ago an advertising agency contacted me about an image of mine they had seen while doing a search on the internet. This came out of the blue and was totally random. They really wanted the image. I won't go into detail about who the company was or what the image was about, but regardless, they offered my $8,000 right off the top for rights to use this image and I keep copyright. I was floored by the offer and naturally accepted. This goes to show that if a company or their agency really wants an image they will pay dearly for it.
First off, congrats on the sale - it was relatively similar to my situation.

Regarding your question: therein lies the problem - you've named the price, but not the company. Conversely, I've named the company, so I cannot name the price! That's a private contract - sorry...

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; Sep 18, 2010 at 1:59 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Langille View Post
Thank you Mike. Patience on the search...

Thanks GW - I really appreciate it.

Ah, save the $$$ and do other stuff with it. Live vicariously through others...

Thank you for the comments!

Regards,
Marc
Just keep posting pics like this and I for one will. Not that i have a house to mortgage, maybe a kidney to sell?

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:51 PM   #26

A very impressive shot, truly worthy of the attention. Well done!
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:28 PM   #27

Congratulations on a wonderful shot and concluding a sale!!!!

I remember some time ago, either here or on another board you posted something about possibly selling an image to Daisy and wondered how it might have turned out. I know the time and patience along with the equipment that goes into this, so its well deserved. Do you know how often they change their packaging, so that you can build up your inventory for the next time they may be in need?

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:13 AM   #28

Congratulations - so glad your talents & skills conintinue to pay (both in wonderful images and monetarily as well). And thanks for sharing the fruits of your talents & time!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote