Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:16 AM   #11

Actually that's a chipmunk isn't it?

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Nice shots. I should get in the habit of taking at least one of my cameras with me at all times.
Hi John,

Thanks!

I've been in the habit of carrying a camera just about everywhere I go -- at least keep it in the trunk. The last time I didn't, I drove past a Red Tail Hawk sitting on a fence 20 feet from the road and a young deer walking alongside the road. If I'd had a camera with me, I could have pulled off the road and probably gotten the best RTH shots I've ever gotten just by shooting through the passenger side window. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Beautiful captures, I really like the last one, though they are all great! Nice work, Scott and thanks for sharing these.
Hi Ned,

Thanks!
Chipmunks are very tough to shoot as they are very skittish and almost constantly in motion if they aren't picking up food off the ground. This one allowed me to get about 12 feet (4m) away, slowly taking one step at a time. This is a vertical crop of a landscape frame, so she pretty much filled the frame top to bottom. Althogether, I probably got about 15 shots of her while I was stalking closer. I don't think that I've ever taken that many shots of one before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
I keep wishing we had those hummingbirds, great shots (all of them)
Hi Ronny,

I wasn't aware that there are none in Europe until I read your post. In case your unfamiliar, these are Ruby Throated Hummingbirds, and they are the only species that visit east of the Mississippi River where I'm located. They are less than 10cm long (including the beak), so I have to get very close, even with the long glass to get a shot like the portrait. There was obviously some luck involved to get the degree of feather detail on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Me too ! So jealous of those that have these gorgeous little birds living around them - they seem so acclimated to humans too.

Great shots Scott - super sharp, you did a great job with the processing. Lovely chipmunk (?) too !
Hi Kevin,

They don't seem to think of humans as a danger, but they still don't usually get too close. I saw one set of photos where a woman had 4 or 5 standing on her hand drinking sugar water from her palm!

http://www.abigailsings.com/hummingbirds/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Excellent job, Scott!
Hi GW,

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Langille View Post
I always smile when I see hummingbirds - thank you for sharing these Scott!
Hi Marc,

Thanks!

I don't get many chances to shoot them, and my guess is that the females will be taking off soon too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Nice captures Scott. Hummingbirds are magical to watch and fun to photograph.
Hi Lou,

They are so delicate, but they're aggressive with each other. Most of the ones I saw that day were chasing each other away from the feeder. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Lovely hummer shots and the squirrel is very, very good. The squirrel is excellent.
Hi Harriet,

Thanks!

The chipmunk shot was really quite noisy as you'd expect from slightly underexposed at ISO1600 with the K-7. I was actually a bit surprised at how well it cleaned up with Topaz Denoise 5. I knew it was effective, but I really didn't expect this particular shot to turn out as well as it did.

This kind of result almost cures the itch for better high ISO performance, but with my reliance on TCs for the reach I need, usable 3200 and maybe 6400 still calls. . . It would just make things so much easier. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Beautiful shots, all of them. As Harriet said, the squirrell is awesome, even if he is shooting you the bird LOL
Hi Hawgwild,

Thanks!

Well, almost shooting the bird. . . I did notice that!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:33 AM   #13

Just fantastic shots, add me to the club of wishing we had them (the birds and the chipmunks) in our country!
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi John,

Thanks!

I've been in the habit of carrying a camera just about everywhere I go -- at least keep it in the trunk. The last time I didn't, I drove past a Red Tail Hawk sitting on a fence 20 feet from the road and a young deer walking alongside the road. If I'd had a camera with me, I could have pulled off the road and probably gotten the best RTH shots I've ever gotten just by shooting through the passenger side window. . .

Scott
There are two times I've really paid for not having a camera. One, a couple of weeks ago, when a young Coopers hawk landed in the garden of a house I was working on whille hunting the birds at the feeder next door. The other was when I found an Asian Longhorn Beetle walking next to an outbuilding I was working on a year or so ago. I suppose I could have taken that home (and done the homeowner a favor since they are highly destructive) but shooting it in the studio isn't as much fun. As for RTH they perch next to the highway here all the time outside of breeding season but one sitting on a light pole isn't the best of shots. On a fence would have been really cool.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:32 PM   #15

lovely shots here, really nice detail on them all
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:00 AM   #16

Great photos as always! Nice red (reflection of feeder?) on the hummingbird neck, and great shot of the chipmunk - one critter that never sits still!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote