Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:30 AM   #1

Default First shots with Pentax K-x

vinnybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:23 PM   #2

I can tell you are going to love this camera !!

That first shot makes a really lovely family keeper - nice and soft (maybe a touch more sharpening required in your software) but definitely a print and hang shot !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 3:04 PM   #3

i am new to editing RAW. I have photoshop cs5 with camera raw editor.
i have been using photoshop to edit photos for years, but always in a destructive method. i love the possibilities with editing RAW, but like i said, i am new to it and would welcome some help. for instance, with the first photo of the girls on the bench, i made edits, but still have the original dng file.

if anyone is so daring, or helpful, here is a link to a zip file containing both the original dng file and the dng with my edits. if an experienced RAW editor would like to show me how good this photo could really look, post it back, and give some info about what they did to achieve it, that would be awesome!

link:
http://www.genesisstudios.net/girls.zip
vinnybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 3:20 PM   #4

Congratulations on your new Camera. I completley agreed with frogfish. # 1 is a keeper.
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus
http://razzi.me/zuken
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:36 PM   #5

Very nice shots! I love the puppy dog - but then I love dogs.

I'm not sure I'd change anything on the first one, I like it the way it is.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:18 PM   #6

Hey Vinny,
since I just got CS5 myself, I decided to give it a try. BTW you have two beautiful daughters!
I didn't spend too much time on it but, made a few changes. One thing I need to mention, is I'm not at all sure my color settings are anywhere close to being correct om my computer monitor so, my edits might even look worse than the edit you did.
Just want you to keep that in mind. In camera raw, the only adjustments I made were to bump the clarity slider up to +44 and vibrance to +8. I used the white balance eye dropper on the white sweater then changed the temperature slider to 6600, tint to -39. Then I opened in photoshop and rotated the image to straiten and used content aware fill to fill in the corners. also noticed the older sister had the pocket lining showing so, I also cloned that out. I used the healing brush on a few blemishes on the girls faces, used auto color/contrast/tint and in curves I darkened the blacks a touch. I used neat image plug-in to reduce the noise and added a tiny bit of unsharp mask after resizing to 8X12 200ppi.
One thing to mention is in the files you posted, you used a compression program to zip the files for faster downloading but, you also loose image detail that way too, so, I think I would have had better results with the uncompressed original.
Any way I hope you like them,
Cheers,

I did two edits, on the second one I used the "shadows/highlights" tool to brighten it up a bit. I'm not sure which one will look best until its posted, seams it always changes when I post them.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:20 PM   #7

I just noticed, I went overboard when I was straitening.
Oh well, you get the idea...

Also forgot to mention I brightened the eyes and teeth too.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Sep 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:32 PM   #8

You might want to make them smaller. Please. Way too wide for my screen.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:15 PM   #9

yeah even with 1400X900 I still had to zoom out until text was not legible to fit on page. Definitely resize in future it allows us to load pages faster so we can comment on more also doesnt take up as much server bandwith, and wont reduce sharpness or quality on your upload.

I think the max before it starts distorting your image quality and robbing the sharpness is 260k but im sure others can verify that

otherwise nice pics and good framing
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:10 PM   #10

I never cease to be impressed with the image quality of the KX. I hope to get a KX or KR before year's end. I can then use it as my primary camera and use the K10D for extreme outdoor conditions.

Great shots, marvelous eye for composition.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses