Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:29 PM   #11

its possible you didn't have the sensor flush with the screen an some light was leaking in skewing the results a bit
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post

Just a note to
6tgbnhy7,
One thing that seams unusual but, is factual, is that your printer has no idea what the image on your monitor looks like. I know it sounds strange but, think of it this way. Open a photo, and print it out. It may or may not look anything like the image on the screen. Now, if you make adjustment to your monitor, like making it brighter... and print the same image, it will still look the same as the first one you printed. Why, because you didn't make any changes to the photo, just the screen and the printer doesn't know that. The key is to calibrate the printer to match the monitor after calibrating the monitor for truest color. Well, that's kind of over simplifying a bit but that's the idea. Its not necessarily possible to do it precisely but, you get as close as you can with consumer quality equipment and learn to live with it.
Uh, well, I already knew all that, but thanks anyway.
6tgbnhy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
its possible you didn't have the sensor flush with the screen an some light was leaking in skewing the results a bit
Maybe once, but I've calibrated my monitor so many times that can't really be the problem. My screen tilts back pretty far so it's easy to be sure the puck is sitting solidly on the screen. I've also tried it a few times with a black cloth covering the monitor and puck. (just in case!)
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:21 PM   #14

Hey GW!
You solved my horrible red cast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Then this afternoon I got an email suggesting I recalibrate my monitors using the "native white balance" option in the software.
I was thinking about what you said here, and I thought, "There is no 'native white balance' setting. What the #$%^%$ is he talking about?" So I went back through the instructions (what there are!), and I was right, there's no mention of it. So I ran the software and poked around, and there it was, in a tiny little box with no checkmark. Checked it, calibrated, the horrible red cast is gone!

So, did you know what they were talking about, or did they have to tell you where to find it?

Now, actually, I don't know at this point how the monitor and my prints compare because it's the middle of the night and this house we're living in right now has the worst lighting outside of the third world! (We're moving in about 3 weeks so there's no point in changing it now.) But I do know that there's very little difference now between my calibrated and uncalibrated screen, and that's cool because I already knew that the uncalibrated screen was much better than that red cast I had before from the Spyder3.

So, I'm glad you had your problem because now mine is fixed, and I'm glad yours is fixed too.

Take care.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tgbnhy7 View Post
Hey GW!
You solved my horrible red cast!
I was thinking about what you said here, and I thought, "There is no 'native white balance' setting. What the #$%^%$ is he talking about?" So I went back through the instructions (what there are!), and I was right, there's no mention of it. So I ran the software and poked around, and there it was, in a tiny little box with no checkmark. Checked it, calibrated, the horrible red cast is gone!

So, did you know what they were talking about, or did they have to tell you where to find it?

Now, actually, I don't know at this point how the monitor and my prints compare because it's the middle of the night and this house we're living in right now has the worst lighting outside of the third world! (We're moving in about 3 weeks so there's no point in changing it now.) But I do know that there's very little difference now between my calibrated and uncalibrated screen, and that's cool because I already knew that the uncalibrated screen was much better than that red cast I had before from the Spyder3.

So, I'm glad you had your problem because now mine is fixed, and I'm glad yours is fixed too.

Take care.

I'm really glad for you too!
Technology is so nice when everything works like its suppose too... nuff said.
I hope I didn't offend you when I was explaining the relationship between the monitor and the printer. It wasn't aimed at you so much as I was just using this opportunity to share a little info with whomever might be reading this thread. You'd be surprised how many people don't understand how things work. Of course, none of our regular members fall into that category but ya never no who's lurking and to bashful ask questions.

PS. sorry, almost forgot to answer your question.
I didn't have any idea about the option to select native W/B and the program didn't have any such option while I was first setting it up. when I got the email telling me to select native W/B I went back to re-calibrate and that time a screen came up with the option to check that box, which I did. The funny part was it didn't make any difference afterward. Then, a couple hours later when I decided to give it one more try, it didn't show that option screen but went strait to calibrating and when it finished, it was beautiful! So, I'm uncertain what went on but, glad its working now.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote