Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:09 PM   #1

Default Spyder 3 Express...

I know there are several members here that have a color calibration device for monitor and I was wondering if anyone owns the Spyder 3 Express?
After reading the review in in this months Shutterbug Magazine, I decided to take the plunge and order one. After reading the instructions (yes ladies, we men do read them sometimes.) I installed the software, hooked up the Spyder and proceeded to calibrate my monitor. Well... the color actually was improved but, the whites have a yellowish tint and the overall image seams to be a little murky and not nearly as bright as it should be. I tried re-calibrating with the monitors default brightness boosted up from the normal setting and it came out the same as it did the first time. does anyone have any thoughts on what's going on... or are my eyes that bad?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:24 PM   #2

strangly i was the exact opposiste - my main monitor had a yellowish cast and my second monitor had a cold cast was infuriating - now they are both much better - not perfect but much better - think the problem now is that my monitors dont have very goos controls so was quite difficult to set
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:54 PM   #3

Thank you for replying, JP.
I just downloaded an updated version of the software and re-calibrated my monitors, one is a 19" Compaq CRT and the other is my LCD 1080i HDTV. both are very close now but... now instead of the yellow cast, its a reddish cast. The funny part is on the LCD, it has a white halo effect around the text displayed on what is supposed to be a white background or even black text on red background, etc.
I'm going to do a little more research on this before sending the darn thing back but, so far I'm pretty disappointed in with it.

Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:16 PM   #4

HI GW,

I've got a Spyder 2 Express, and it seems to work pretty well. I have noticed that on my main monitor, a relatively old ViewSonic, it does seem to bias towards red from the monitor's default, it's noticeable, but not drastic, and it does seem to clean up the whites.

Is there a sharpness setting on your LCD? Sharpness is always a matter of local contrast, and this might be what's throwing things off -- just like oversharpening an image can cause halos.

I must add a caveat -- that I know less than nothing about monitor technology or calibration -- I just did it because I was having a problem matching my printed images to my monitor, and guesstimating settings just doesn't cut it with the expense of paper and ink. Calibrating the monitor and printer with a common system made a lot of sense (and difference).

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:23 PM   #5

I have a Spyder 3 Elite. It's very good, works very well with both the laptop and my 24" Apple monitor and they look identical. The big monitor wasn't much different between the calibrated and uncalibrated. The difference on the laptop is very significant, and the difference was why I got the calibrator in the first place. The interesting thing is that I didn't mind the blue color cast on the laptop until I got used to the calibrated profile (my initial reaction was that it couldn't be right). Now I can't believe that I ever thought it was correct.

I can't help you with the halo effect - I've never seen anything like that.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:44 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

GW, I use the Spyder 3 Express and have not experienced what you described. My whites are white...I know for sure since the screeners at airliners.net have not rejected my aviation photos for incorrect white balance issues. For me it has been a good value.

My larger issue remains brightness and contrast. I seem to set my monitor to a higher brightness level than what my printed images look like. I was hoping that a monitor calibrator would resolve that. However, for the most part, it only seems to adjusts the color more so than the brightness/contrast.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:49 PM   #7

I have a Spyder3Express and it causes an extreme warm cast. I use 2 different printers and when I print standardized test images, using the correct profiles, ink, and paper for my printers, the prints are much cooler than the screen display. I use 3 different papers and the prints look virtually identical from paper to paper and printer to printer. But NONE of the prints look like the on-screen image I get when I use the Spyder3.
According to a review of my new monitor (Viewsonic 2365) on the web site TFT CENTRAL the monitor's default setting is pretty close to correct; they also offer a profile to download and use if you want, which I did. Admittedly, their monitor is a different unit from mine, so it would be reasonable for there to be some difference, but using either their settings or the monitor's default gives a display that's pretty close to my prints, unlike the display that the Spyder3 gives me.
I just wrote to the Spyder support people and their initial response doesn't give me a lot of confidence: A little note that they're much busier than usual, but they'll get to me as soon as they can. Oh good.
6tgbnhy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:47 PM   #8

GW got the spyder 3-pro and don't have that problem, my monitors have a blueish cast and after calibration that is gone but everything looks softer. But I like the end result.

@Jehan, the only way to get a preview on you screen that looks like a print is when you turn the brightness down a lot. I've given up on trying to get the same look on screen as on print.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tgbnhy7 View Post
I have a Spyder3Express and it causes an extreme warm cast. I use 2 different printers and when I print standardized test images, using the correct profiles, ink, and paper for my printers, the prints are much cooler than the screen display. I use 3 different papers and the prints look virtually identical from paper to paper and printer to printer. But NONE of the prints look like the on-screen image I get when I use the Spyder3.
According to a review of my new monitor (Viewsonic 2365) on the web site TFT CENTRAL the monitor's default setting is pretty close to correct; they also offer a profile to download and use if you want, which I did. Admittedly, their monitor is a different unit from mine, so it would be reasonable for there to be some difference, but using either their settings or the monitor's default gives a display that's pretty close to my prints, unlike the display that the Spyder3 gives me.
I just wrote to the Spyder support people and their initial response doesn't give me a lot of confidence: A little note that they're much busier than usual, but they'll get to me as soon as they can. Oh good.

Hey guys,
I waited a while to reply back as I was waiting to see what tech support could offer in way of correcting my problem. Well, I got the same preliminary response as 6tgbnhy7, did. Then this afternoon I got an email suggesting I recalibrate my monitors using the "native white balance" option in the software. I did that with no luck so, now I'm back to square one. if I come up with a solution, I'll report back. Otherwise this thing is going back.

Just a note to
6tgbnhy7,
One thing that seams unusual but, is factual, is that your printer has no idea what the image on your monitor looks like. I know it sounds strange but, think of it this way. Open a photo, and print it out. It may or may not look anything like the image on the screen. Now, if you make adjustment to your monitor, like making it brighter... and print the same image, it will still look the same as the first one you printed. Why, because you didn't make any changes to the photo, just the screen and the printer doesn't know that. The key is to calibrate the printer to match the monitor after calibrating the monitor for truest color. Well, that's kind of over simplifying a bit but that's the idea. Its not necessarily possible to do it precisely but, you get as close as you can with consumer quality equipment and learn to live with it.

Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:34 PM   #10

OK, don't know what's going on....
Just for the halibut, I decided to run Spyder again. This time it worked beautifully!
Looks better now than I ever could have hoped for!

6tgbnhy7, I encourage you to keep trying, hopefully you will have success too.
Thanks guys for all your input.

Last edited by Goldwinger; Sep 20, 2010 at 6:36 PM.