Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:37 PM   #1

Default Thinking about the ltd's

been thinking about maybe a prime or two and everyone raves about the pentax ltd's so figured would be an excellent place to start but i cant help but notice the FA limited's are WAY more expensive than the da versions are they really that much difference?

was thinking about either the DA 70mm ltd (438.00) or the FA 77mm Ltd (837.00) now is it really twice as good a lens? am thinking of using it for portraiture something i've not really tried yet (yeah its just an excuse to feed my LBA)
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:28 PM   #2

Hey JP,
This is one place where I think the old saying, "you get what you pay for" is particularly true.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:36 PM   #3

not what i wanted to hear wanted to be told the da ones were jsut as good if fractionally slower =( now i gotta save up nearly twice as much
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:57 PM   #4

There are some people who think the DA limiteds are better than the FA Limiteds (with the exception of perhaps the FA31). Others disagree. There are scores of threads on another board that compare these two (the 70 and the 77) and each has their defenders. The FA lenses are faster, which means that they would cost more. For portraiture you could easily be shooting with f2.8 or smaller, especially if you have two people and they aren't on the same plane (and you want all of both faces in focus).

I've never used the DA 70 but own both the DA 35 macro limited and the FA 77 limited. You will never regret buying the FA. But on the other hand, the DA 35 is really well-made and a wonderful lens. If the DA 70 is as well made, with as good optics as its reputed to have, it would be a really good lens, well worth the money. If you need the faster lens then there's your answer. If not, then the DA 70 Limited could easily be the best value.

You can't go wrong buying the FA 77 - it's one of the legendary lenses and deserves its sky-high reputation.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:54 PM   #5

Hi John,

I was waiting for Harriet to comment, since I have no direct experience with either lens, and I knew that she had the 77. I'll concur with everything she said, though I'm only going by what I've read on different fora.

I'll add that I've read posts where some users started out with the 77, bought the 70, and ended up keeping the 70. I really can't remember the details, but I think that size had something to do with the decision, at least in one case, and overall value might have been a factor, considering total investment in gear.

Personally, if I had the choice, not having tried either lens, I'd probably choose the 77 despite the difference in price. . . but my personal choices don't necessarily agree with many. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:29 PM   #6

Hi John,

My opinion is that anything with the limited label is great. I went to buy the DA 21 used, mint condition. The box arrived and out popped a FA 31 mint in every way sans box. The used camera place mislabeled the item but sent what was in the picture (believe it or not, prior to ordering - I never looked at the picture) and matched the serial number. So I have the 31 - had it for a year, love it - who wouldn't? The DA limiteds, optically are suppose to be wonderful - and are priced less. I would not worry about the build, as they are at least as good as the DA 12-24 and that is substantial.

I have read opinions that the DA 70 ltd is as good as the FA 77, and actually better in many respects, since the 77 was oriented specifically towards portraits.

I have read many great remarks about the 15, 21, 40 and 70. I would not worry about it.

Another reason why the 77 is priced a bit higher is the 31, 43 and 77 (the FA trio) appeared to be out of stock at a number of retailers, earlier this year - leading to some speculation that they were going end of life. I have no idea.

So bottom line, if you can afford a limited, if the focal length I wanted put me in a DA, I would not worry. The difference between the 70 and 77 in terms of focal length and magic dust, I again would not worry and get the 70. If the 70 works well for you, declare victory and put the difference against another lens, and take more images....

Here are some images from both the DA 70 and FA 77 for some comparison.

Last edited by interested_observer; Sep 19, 2010 at 1:59 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:02 AM   #7

I have the 43 Ltd and it is a special lens. I bought it used, really cheap ($200), when obviously neither I nor the guy selling it knew what it was (I didn't even have a DSLR at that time - I had just read it was a good lens and expensive to buy new) !

Although the lens is one of 3 that I carry with me everywhere I go, I don't actually use it that much, as on APS-C cameras it's usually too much length for parties / events where the 21 would be much better. But if the light is fading or sometimes on the street, then that is my 'go-to' lens.

I keep debating whether I should sell it (as my LBA is in full flow) and put the funds towards the 60-250 which I believe I'd use much more but ...... I haven't been able to just yet !

For what it's worth, from knowledgeable owner's opinions I've read on the web, the 31 & the 77 have been sprinkled with fairy dust and are to die for.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:04 PM   #8

i've been thinking it over and over - so many things i want - i think the da 70mm ltd is probably a better bet. the fa is just to much extra to justify it as i'm not sure how much i'll use it I JUST WANT IT!! =)

Also on the LBA list is a fast telephoto lens was thinking the sigma 70-200 f2.8 but the old one apparently has some unplesant bokeh from CA and is soft wide open and at 200mm so that brought me to the newer version but its sooooooo much more expensive =(

but then along comes the k5 (another pricey want) iso 51600 if you can believe it so assuming should get good images from iso 6400 maybe even 12800 then perhaps fast lens not so crucial and i could add the 60-250mm f4 to the list

anyway suffice it to say my savings are being severly pressed with all my wants so the 77mm would only make the list if it was truely outstanding and significantly better than the 70mm

so yeah

k5
da 70mm ltd
da* 60-250mm

damn i need to sell some photo's lol
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:39 PM   #9

I bought the 77 after spending over a year trying to convince myself I didn't need it. I already had the DA*50-135, a fast very good lens. But that 77 just wouldn't get out of my mind and I finally gave up and got it. It is better than the DA*50-135 and I don't regret getting it at all.

"I JUST WANT IT!" is a perfectly good reason for buying a lens. I thought that buying the much more reasonable DA 35 macro limited would satisfy my desire for the FA 31. It didn't take away my desire for one, just put it on the back burner for a while. I still want the FA 31 along with a weather sealed lens in the same focal range.

But then, I also really like a camera with less noise and bigger dynamic range than the K7. So my want list, in no particular order:

FA31
DA*16-50
Kx/Kr/K5, depending
CS5 Production package

I don't really NEED any of them. I find myself wanting a wide weather sealed lens so the DA*16-50 is close to a need. But the others are all WANT items. Hope I get at least one of these by Christmas...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:43 AM   #10

i want the 16-50mm da* too but concerns over its reliability put me off - the second pentax releases a ring motor version it will be firmly at the top of my list - that said have hear that its bokeh isn't the best
Pentax Photo Gallery