Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 19, 2010, 2:04 PM   #11

Thanks John - yes I think this flash is great value for money, very good quality too. Are you becoming more mobile now ? Miss your posts.

Thanks Th. - Ha ha , yes another one. This photography bug has bit me hard !

Thank you Ash - you off to Japan ? Why don't you pick up a new AFA 1.7x (just to feed your LBA)

Thank you Lou - yes, very happy with it and looking forward to Sarah's review.

Your comments are much appreciated Scott ! I have just bought a Chinese version of a set of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Novoflex-Flash-B...#ht_3880wt_913 and can't wait to use them. I need to get two small off camera flashes - such as Nikon / Canon make for their macro rigs, or I've seen very powerful LEDs here (about $30 each) that can do the same thing but as they are very very light it may help balance / hand holding.

I think there are a few of us here that find jumping spiders 'attractive'

Maybe in the south of China there are more colourful spiders. Shanghai doesn't seem to have much wildlife or colourful spiders .. but then it has no native poisonous snakes, spiders or other insects either !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:25 PM   #12

awesome shots, I love the eyes, the large one looks like a human almost with a furry mask on
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post

Thank you Ash - you off to Japan ? Why don't you pick up a new AFA 1.7x (just to feed your LBA)
Yeah, off in about 5 weeks (for 2 weeks)

Would kill for a decent TC of that caliber, but we will have to see what's available when I am there.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
I have just bought a Chinese version of a set of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Novoflex-Flash-B...#ht_3880wt_913 and can't wait to use them. I need to get two small off camera flashes - such as Nikon / Canon make for their macro rigs, or I've seen very powerful LEDs here (about $30 each) that can do the same thing but as they are very very light it may help balance / hand holding.
Hi Kevin,

Something that might be worth a thought would be to use an LED to help eliminate the shadows, but since it would be on all the time, it could also help with focusing by brightening the view, and the flash could provide the main source of light and help to stop motion blur.

Another possibility would be a small slave flash. Sunpak makes this one that is both compatible with digital preflash or standard single flash systems:

http://www.sunpak.jp/english/products/pf20xd/

I have a pair of these that I've mounted on the Chinese O ring flash bracket that Ronny featured in a post earlier this year. I haven't used it much since I found the magic setup to get my Metz 15 MS-1 to expose properly with my Sigma 180/AFA/K-7 combination. The Metz is just a lot easier to handle, is lighter, and is P-TTL. I plan to modify the bracket with larger screw knobs and dial in the settings for the auto thyristor flashes this winter so I'll have an any-camera backup macro flash setup.

You'd get the convenience of wireless triggering off you other flash, and you might even be able to find an Auto setting that can work for you so you might not have to do a lot of manual adjustment. the flashes are only a bit stronger than the popup flash on the camera, but it's easily enough for macro distances -- and they can be used manually, with 5 stops (down to 1/32) power settings.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:18 PM   #15

also forgot to add, you definitely got me back in the mood for some a great album that I havent heard in years

Ziggy played guitarr
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:52 PM   #16

Quote:
He had this amazing multi-coloured piece right above his fangs and up to between it's eyes - anyone know what this is ?
FWIW, It's probably beside the point, but since the question has been raised (and if I interpret your question correctly), the shiny green areas below the multicolored area between the lateral eyes cannot be the chelicerae (="jaws") since these must be below all of the eyes. Junping spiders have 4 large eyes on the front of the head (which probably give them their "personality") in addition to the two above and behind on the side - these were obscured in the photo as it was posted. I have taken the liberty to lighten the image and label the four front eyes, which are below the shiny green areas. The chelicerae are not obvious, but they must be hidden below, behind, or between the palps (P), as Scott has indicated.

Name:  spider.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  71.5 KB

Last edited by penolta; Sep 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:18 AM   #17

NMR - ha ha - I wondered how many would pick up on that.

Ash. You can often get the AFA 1.7x on Japanese Amazon (new of course). I'll send you the link if you want. There is also a company set up to especially help foreigners buy products from Japanese shopping sites - about US$15 per time I think - they have the item sent to them and then forward on to the client ! I have also seen someone saying they can get it for GBP160 on the street (new) in Tokyo.

Penolta - thank you for taking the time to do that - and educating me. So that means we are still no closer to identifying the multi-coloured body part ? I wonder what it is and how it is used.

Scott - Yes i thought that might be a benefit (aid to focusing in macro) of a very bright LED (and they are tiny but very bright).
I checked out the Sunpak you mentioned (thanks for the link) - here they sell for $70 each. More than the Yongnuo YN 560 speedlite itself ! I may try the LEDs first as they are half that price and much smaller and lighter. Thank you for your expert advice !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC

Last edited by Frogfish; Sep 20, 2010 at 5:23 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:10 AM   #18

Looks like that flash unit is doing a great job in your capable hands. Glad you have found some new 8-legged "friends." Great & wonderfully detailed photos!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:41 AM   #19

Yeah send me a link please mate, I am visiting friends, so can get one of them to order it for me and I just collect it from their house most likely.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:40 PM   #20

Magnificent macro series Kevin, got one of those flashes and am really happy with it, only be careful with the build in flash diffuser, mine broke the first time I used it.