Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:18 AM   #1

Default K-5 No longer a rumor. . .

Hi All,

I finally saw what I imagine are credible specs for the new Pentax flagship, and I'm pretty impressed. Here are some of the differences over the K-7.

RAW button is now programmable for different functions. I'm not sure exactly what it can be programmed to control, but since I've yet to really use it for switching image formats, it's got to be more useful for me. . .

The mode dial seems to be a little taller -- sounds like a little thing, but with the lock button, I think that this will make it easier to change modes, though I don't do this that often. . .

16.3 MP sensor with four channels and onboard A/D convertor. This will allow more speed (7FPS) in continuous shooting, and higher res video. It's supposed to still allow 40 frames in jpg, even with the higher res, so they must have bumped the buffer a bit, but there seems to be some conflict about this between sources, so I'm not really sure.

The ISO range is now 100-12800 with an expanded range from 80-51200 (this may not be true -- conflicting info). This is 2 stops higher than the K-7 in each range, and I hope that this is reflected in high ISO IQ also as this would help me considerably with the slowish tele/TC combos that I shoot. The expanded top sensitivity is the highest so far in an APS-C body. Even with a lot of noise, it's got to be some fun shooting in the dark with ISO 51200 and a 50/1.4!

SAFOX IX+ replaces VII+ and is touted as "much faster" by Pentax. They've never claimed any previous variants of the AF system to be "much" faster, so by Pentax precedent, this could mean that the new system is closer to being in the same class as Canon and Nikon (sorry for the speculation. . .).

An interesting addition is two sub modes for each AF mode -- focus priority or shutter release priority for AF S and focus priority or speed priority for AF C. I don't quite understand the difference, but I think that in AF C the speed priority allows highest frame rate even if the subject is not sensed to be focused (which I kinda see as the same difference. . .). Either way, I see this as an improvement as using AF C to get shutter release priority is something of a bother, especially if you use the beep like I do -- the repeated beeping gets annoying. . .

The new AF sensor is supposed to be more light sensitive and have an improved lens in addition to having wider coverage. It retains 11 focus points with 9 cross type sensors and two linear sensors at the extreme right and left of the frame. The "+" indicates that it will have the extra sensor which corrects for tungsten light like the K-7. I was hoping for more sensors (which would make them smaller), but I'm used to working with 11, so it's not a big deal for me.

The AF mode dial is reportedly redesigned to be easier to set, which to me is a welcomed change. A five sensor multipoint mode like the Kx and Kr has been added.

The K-5 apparently allows storage of 3 different custom WB settings.

In multiexposure HDR mode, there is apparently the ability to align the images in camera, so handheld HDR is possible. I think this ability is also featured in the Kr.

There's some difference in bracketing mode that I don't quite understand. . .

A tilt sensor has been added to the roll sensor for camera leveling in two dimensions.

Video now has full 1080 HD resolution and I think that LV focusing is supposed to be improved.

SDXC will apparently be supported with a firware update.

RAW is now 14 bit.

I got all this off the Imaging Resource site, and I now see that there might be some conflicts, so I'll try to correct any mistakes as I see confirmations.

I'm sure that there are other changes, but I consider this to be a significant upgrade for the way I use a camera. I'm sure that others will see essentially the same body and say that it's only marginal. . .but I think that for me, the usability will be enhanced considerably.

I'll be waiting for some reviews before I get one, but I'm pretty sure that I will get one. . . I've seen prices between $1300 and $1650 quoted, so I don't know about that, but by the time I'd be ordering, it will probably be somewhat less anyway. . .

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Sep 20, 2010 at 10:44 AM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:03 AM   #2

Interesting, only got my K-7 in March, but tempted to trade up if this is correct info. Not that happy with high ISO noise in the K-7, and full 1080p video recording would be a welcome feature.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:17 AM   #3

*groans*

Another one for the WANT List thread.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:51 PM   #4

This is the day of the official announcement and I just received an email from Pentax to that effect. It is now listed on their website (no word yet about availability):

http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/K-5/

Last edited by penolta; Sep 20, 2010 at 1:55 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:24 PM   #5

Price for the US is $1600, that's a bit rich for my blood. I'd want to really see some comparison shots to make sure that it really does have greater dynamic range as well as better noise control than the K7 before I'll think of buying one. I'm still thinking that the Kr might be the better image quality and I don't need any bigger file sizes for what I mostly do (and I'll keep either the K7 or K20 regardless).

I can see how this camera addresses a lot of the draw-backs for someone like Scott. It may also address some of the things that erk me, too, but I'm not yet convinced that it will. It sounds like a wonderful, feature filled camera and I'd love that part of it, just like I love the interface and features of the K7. I'd use the in-camera HDR a lot more, since so often I'm not using a tripod.

I'm glad that they've kept the mode lock. Many people complained about it when the K7 first came out, but I think it's a plus and it isn't a big deal to use it. I change modes quite often, too, and still prefer to have it than not.

I need to absorb all of the features etc. more.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:39 PM   #6

Mode Lock - I use it often, but I don't even notice I'm using it. It's an excellent idea.

Price $1,600 now probably means $1,300 - 1,400 by the time it hits the streets. Isn't that where the K7 was when it firs came out ?

I'm sure by January it'll be knocking on $1,100 / $1,200 and that's the time to buy.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:48 PM   #7

K7 was $1200 full price when it came out and sold that high for the first several months.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:36 PM   #8

I'm glad they addressed the ISO issue with the K-7; I'd love to see how the K-5 handles ISO 6400. Unfortunately for me though, the K-5 lacks a vital feature I was hoping for: full manual control in video.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:09 PM   #9

Hi Again,

I just saw a video of a guy comparing a pre-production firmware K-5 with a K-7 with the latest firmware. He shot I don't know what with a K-7 in AF-C and High Continuous, then a K-5 in AF-C in "speed" mode, then in "focus priority" mode. The K-7 hesitated noticeably a number of times, the K-5 "speed" hardly hesitated at all, and the K-5 "focus" only hesitated a little.

I don't know what he was focusing on -- something to his left, then the video camera, then something to his right, and I think the text is Spanish so I can only guess at some of the meanings (and you can't get an online translation of text in images). IMO, the difference between the K-7 and K-5, even in the slower "focus" mode is very significant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4nv2...layer_embedded

I'll be looking forward to seeing a comparison using screw drive lenses with the new kid on the block. . . and see some ISO 3200 and 6400 samples from jpgs.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:27 PM   #10

price is already coming down to make it competitive with the d7000 - should hit the us at $1399 apparently from first reports from photokina
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote