Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks. I assume the Kx has IBIS, right?
Yes, it has IS on body.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:01 PM   #12

I had the tamron and it was ok, but I sold it, if that says anything.

I actually got better macro shots out of it than I did telephoto shots. Ive seen people take some pretty good shots with it but I didnt give it much of a chance, I took it out on a few outings and got rarely any keepers due to its speed and the purple fringing(which was worst Ive seen on a lens yet) . Perhaps on tripod it;d be better but IMO Ive seen much nicer shots out of the pentax brand one, however I do not own that one so Im basing it off of others pics.

Grats on the Kx!

Last edited by NMRecording; Sep 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:58 PM   #13

Congratulations on the KX - will look forward to seeing some your excellent photos with it.
I have the Sigma APO 70-300 - it's a fine macro lens for skittish bugs like dragonflies and such, but noticeably soft for distance work. Have not tried the Tamron 70-300
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:11 PM   #14

Which of the two teles you get should depend on the type of use you anticipate for it. I have and use both lenses, and find the Pentax better at the long end, but the Tamron is unparalleled as a "macro" lens (up to 1:2) in the 180-300mm range (lets you avoid getting too close to skittish subjects, and avoids a lot of bending and kneeling). Purple fringing has seldom been a problem with my copy, appearing a few times at the long end in contrasty lighting situations - it is a well-known issue with the lens, but can be handled in post-processing. I treat the two lenses as complementary, rather than a duplication. When I am out for bird photography, I take the Pentax, but use the Tamron around the yard and as a general walk-around lens - great for wildflower, garden, and butterfly photography. If you do a lot of lens swapping, avoid the Pentax DA-L version, as the plastic mount might be more prone to wear over time than the metal DA version mount (the manual focus touchup override while in AF mode is nice, too).

Last edited by penolta; Sep 21, 2010 at 7:19 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:49 PM   #15

I used to have a Tamron 28-300mm for my Sony A300. It was a decent lens but not at 300mm. I would not buy the Tamron for its macro capability. To me, having macro is a plus but the sole purpose of getting a 300mm lens is for reach. There are plenty of other lenses I can buy for macro photography. In fact, I already have a couple (Sigma 28mm super wide II with macro and Chinon 35-70mm also with macro). They are both great performers on the G1 so I imagine they will do well on the Kx. As I said, if I really decide on the DA as opposed to the Tammy, then the kit I bought goes back for the time being.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:07 PM   #16

I actually found the Pentax 55-300mm lens before I bought the Kx. Together they make a great combination, along with the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens.

Attached is an informal portrait done with the Kx equipped with the Pentax 55-300mm lens. For lighting I used the Y/N 560 in the manual (bounce) mode.
I really like the 55-300mm lens on the Kx.

Keep in mind this strategy: I purchased the 55-300mm used at a bargain price from a person who bought the two lens kit and felt the lens was to slow.

Please click on the link below to see the photo sample:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pe...5_R6aZ2-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:08 PM   #17

I have the KX with the DA 55-300...I did get it as a 2 lens kit too and a good deal tho i don't remember exactly but i did post that info here..last year.

I like the DA 55-300 its a nice lens and I get good shots from it. I find that I end up swapping lens a lot so I am glad I got the DA and not the DA -L

I do wish tho, I had something that would go lower then 55 so i didn't have to swap so much...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:30 PM   #18

Welcome to the Pentaxian world! Great that you decided on a Kx - your pictures are always fun, and I'd love to see you post some of them here.

I didn't like my 50-200 but I think it had a problem from the beginning and I didn't know enough to realize that (it was the first lens I bought after getting the DS. I finally gave up on it after a couple of years - it got to be rather severely decentered. I know a number of other people who love theirs, so I think there's quite a bit of copy variance, and I just happened to get a bad one.

The Tamron 70-300 had been considered the best of the lenses in this category until Pentax came out with the 55-300. From what I've seen from other people's comparison lenses, there's not much difference as far as sharpness, with the nod going to the Pentax lens at 300. The reason I ended up choosing to replace the 50-200 with the DA 55-300 instead of the Tamron was that the Pentax lens controls fringing better. So your idea of buying the camera with the kit lens and then getting the Tamron is a good way to go - you've got a number of old lenses to go with the Kx, and you can also look around for someone who's decided to sell their DA-L 55-300.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:27 AM   #19

Thanks everyone for the warm welcoming to the Pentax world (actually, a return).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the zoom lens, Hanriet. It appears that PF is a somewhat major issue with the Tamron. The DA is going for $350 on Amazon, bringing the total cost up to $800+. I understand that the DA is slightly better than the DA-L but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $100. I've seen the two-lens kit going for $584 on the Amazon Warehouse (open box). That's a huge difference in price. So, I guess if I like the Kx, I'll return the kit I bought and wait for the two-lens to go down in price.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:45 AM   #20

Tullio,

If you search through this forum you'll find a thread from early this year which I think I started but can't be sure, comparing the Tamron 70-300 and I think it was the Pentax 80-320 (only one winner there) then MadMike came in with comparisons of the Pentax 55-300 too (or he started the thread - I forget) !

Sharpness : 55-300 > 70-300 > 80-320
PF : 55-300 > 70-300 but you can't say by a huge amount, I have never noticed a lot of PF in my shots with the Tammy (only in very high contrast or test shots of chimneys, telephone cables etc). Both are capable of very sharp shots but the 55-300 has an advantage. Try to find the thread.

I had all 3 lenses but have since sold the 80-320. I have kept the other two and don't foresee selling either until I get the 60-250 (and maybe not then).

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote