Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:17 AM   #1

Default Little Manitou Falls

Went to a State Park to do some photography and while I was trying out a friends FF camera, Ann took these with the K20D with the 16-45mm f/4.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:26 PM   #2

Hey Tom,
I'm not sure what's happening but, the photos don't seem to want to load for some reason. I let it try for about 10 minuets and its still only showing part of the images.
what I can see looks good but, sure would like to see the complete shots, ya big tease! how bout another try?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:36 PM   #3

Strange they show up here just fine and at work too! Here they are again:

Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:12 PM   #4

they show up just fine for me too. Not sure whats goin on for you GW, happens to me sometimes I have to hit refresh a few times (?)

looks like a great place to take some pics, you should post up what was on your sensor in the above pic
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 1:30 AM   #5

For those that are interested, this a the shot from the D700!

Tom
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:47 AM   #6

Hi all,

I found that even though the sensor is half the size of the D700, the K20D really holds its own in good light, and preserves the highlights far better than the Nikon does.

I also noticed that my K10D with its CCD sensor will preserve far more detail in the shadow areas then the K20D with its CMOS sensor, but its lower resolution really can't compete with the D700 when it comes to sharpness without serious PP.

In low light the D700 is simply amazing, you can raise the ISO to 1600 and beyond with no noticeable noise, but then the larger sensor with the same amount of pixels should control noise better.

Still really like my Pentax gear, but I am having a hard time justifying the upgrade to the K-5 from what I have now.

Tom
Old Sep 23, 2010, 1:47 PM   #7

Well, I don't know. Works fine today. must have been something on my end but, all the other images were loading just fine. I give up, I'll be over here in the corner if anybody needs me.

Tom, the photos are beautiful, and so is the 16-45!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:46 AM   #8

Looks like a beautiful area, and beautifully photographed (by both photographers)! Glad to hear how well your Pentax gear compares with the FF equipment.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:48 AM   #9

It is refreshing to see how nice the photographs are from the Pentax APSC cameras, with or without the comparison to FF.

FWIW, my *istDS (6MP) shoots great images, has great shadow detail with no BF/FF issues, but the IQ starts to fall apart (pixelate) in PS at 75%.

My K10D (10.2MP) has terrible high ISO quality, has great shadow detail and falls apart at 100% in PS.

My K20D (14.6MP) produces great images, although the shadow detail is less than the K10D, the high ISO quality is slightly better than the K10D, but not as good as the *istDS and it begins to fall apart at 175% in PS.

The Nikon FF D700 (12.1MP) also produces great images, but doesn't hold the highlights like the Pentax cameras do, has absolutely amazing high ISO quality, but still doesn't hold the shadow detail the K10D/*istDS do and starts to fall apart at around 300% in PS.

Not sure what this means but it was interesting to me!

Tom
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:31 AM   #10

are you saying your images look sharp with the D700 up to 300% magnification? If this is correct, I dont believe it ;-) I must be misunderstanding. at 200%, you should already be seeing the pixel blocks?

thanks for sharing the falls, looks gorgeous
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote