Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:11 PM   #21

Yes he is, carefully camouflaged inside the empty shell of a Nikon D3s!
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:21 AM   #22

This thread is too funny! I understand the woes of you wedding photographer friend! I shot my step nieces wedding ( I AM NOT A PRO BUT I AS FREE ! ) I only shot maybe a couple hundred shots but my goodness the time I sat at the computer afterward had me wondering if my gift of free photography was worth it to ME ! I gave them a disk with all the photos, minus a few really bad ones, so they could go get all the prints they wanted. They were thrilled with the pics ( I think the price of the photographer had something to do with that!) and I was glad it was over! A few years earlier when I shot my brothers wedding with a sears ksx ( a pentax incognito) that had the awesome ability to set exposure by altering the shutter speed , all I did was send off the film got prints back and gave prints and negs to my brother. Much less work than the digital wedding!
Now let me tell you why I think it was so much more work. With the film I knew that I had to get it right in the camera if I wanted to get decent shots. I had to KNOW what settings to use with the film I had chosen. I could not afford to guess! With the digital on the other hand I had come to lean on post processing to "correct" any mis-guesses. Unfortunately that is a habit I still have a hard time shaking. In some ways fillm was more "automatic " than our all automatic digital cameras! LOL
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 7:30 AM   #23

The only thing wrong with the commercial is the terrible camera. Lots of people still shoot film, you should see the lineup at my local drug store to for pictures. My wife just converted to digital, she still misses the simplicity of film. Film is a LOT simpler than digital.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:43 AM   #24

Dare I say that if we digital photographers were as careful with planning and thinking about our exposures as we were with film, we would have far fewer to deal with, and the time saved in not waiting for development would be well worth the time spent editing fewer exposures. IMO the ability to take "hundreds of shots" of a single event leads to carelessness that requires more time-consuming sorting and pp correction.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Dare I say that if we digital photographers were as careful with planning and thinking about our exposures as we were with film, we would have far fewer to deal with, and the time saved in not waiting for development would be well worth the time spent editing fewer exposures. IMO the ability to take "hundreds of shots" of a single event leads to carelessness that requires more time-consuming sorting and pp correction.
I've been saying this over at the Oly forum for some time now. It's one of the reasons I like to still shoot film, to try and correct what you talk about. Burst mode makes it even worse! Now instead of 1 or 2 extra shots I can have 10. That said, it is nice to have the ability to just shoot away and know that you'll get a good or great shot, even if there is a lot of garbage to sort thru.

It's not only us amatures who do this either, Bryan Peterson recounts in one of his books having taken 78 shots of a pelican that was basically sitting still. At least I'm not that bad.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:19 PM   #26

Only thing some may be looking at is the fact that if they dump them into the computer they could lose them at failure to load... or if there was even a lack of power world wide where would the shots be then stuck in there some where... I would just burn them down to a disc keep two one to view one as copy for back up... and don't just down a few down the load those discs can hold a lot ... think wow they wasted space when they made those ol large record sized lazer disc movies.... some times people just do not think so right to the point.... Now that could of stayed around to make the big Albums...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote