Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:08 PM   #1

Default Help in photographing trees

Hiya! Here is a photo before the leaves started turning colour here in Finland. The problem with this picture is that Birch tree leaves are small. When taking a photo like this, is it the smallness of the leaves, or is there something I could do better. There was no wind to speak of. Got to get a tripod since I left my old one behind in England. Any advice on how to make the leaves seem more in focus, or whatever, is appreciate. I hadly had to worry about any sharpening, at least not much.

Ned

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2010, 2:07 PM   #2

I think that looks just about right on my monitor. I guess the problem is that when it's resized down for the web each leaf can be less than 1 pixel so what you really want is something that retains the right texture rather than individual leaves. I'd try experimenting with combining different resize methods with different levels of unsharp mask (before and after resizing) and there should be a combination that works for you.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 2:19 PM   #3

Hi Martin! Many thanks for the advice! I will have to do that.

Thanks. Ned
Old Sep 22, 2010, 3:45 PM   #4

Eetu, first let me say that your picture is beautiful.......... As far as each leaf being in focus or rather the need for each leaf to be in focus for the shot to be considered good? Hmmmmm ,well, is the shot a picture of the leaves or a picture of the trees?
Several years ago my wife , who has a bachelors degree in art , told me how frustrated she had become when during one of her classes the assignment was to do a drawing of some trees. The teacher noticed that my wife was trying to draw each single leaf on the tree. A nearly impossible task that was frustrating my wife to no end. The teacher told her to draw only what her eyes actually saw. What did her eyes actually see? Clumps of various shades of green grouped together to form the shape of the tree! At even a short distance your eyes cant distinguish well the shape of each leaf separately. So when my wife began to paint according to her teacher's insight the trees were easier to draw AND looked more like trees! Now if you were able to get each leaf in sharp focus even zooming in as much as 200 percent on the screen, then printed the picture at 16 by 20 and then viewed it from say eight feet away what are your eyes going to see? Very likely various shades of green clumped together on white trunks to form the over all shape of white birch trees !
I find that I scrutinize my own shots too closely sometimes. I fret over technical details that most folks would never notice. I sometimes forget to enjoy my photography instead of making it tedious.
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:44 PM   #5

As has been stated, everything looks fine to me on my laptop monitor. The location is certainly one to revisit when the leaves have some colour. A great opportunity for some nice reflections.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 6:31 PM   #6

Hey Ned, the way I get my best tree shots is to wear my camouflage gear and very quietly sneak up on them...

Sorry my friend, I just couldn't resist.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bock1965 View Post
Eetu, first let me say that your picture is beautiful.......... As far as each leaf being in focus or rather the need for each leaf to be in focus for the shot to be considered good? Hmmmmm
Hiya!

Many thanks for your kind words and advice.

I think that for me, I look out my window and the birch tree leaves look so natural and appealing.... I look at my photo and my eyes see, what I can only describe, as some sort busyness... much a photo that is overshappened.

This photo, right from the start didn't seem to need much sharpening... but again, I look out my window... I look at this photo... and I feel that there is something missing. I know if anyone were here, seeing the same, the only reaction would be, "Oooh! gotcha!" But obviously, no one is here but me, and I just need to plug away at getting it right. I don't mean to sound like I am obsessing about details.

As I mentioned in a previous message, I am surrounded by forest and lakes. I really want to learn to photograph trees better.

Thanks and all the best.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
As has been stated, everything looks fine to me on my laptop monitor. The location is certainly one to revisit when the leaves have some colour. A great opportunity for some nice reflections.

Regards

Thanks... and I better revisit this place soon before the leaves are no more. Many leaves have already fallen to the ground.

Thanks.

Ned
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Hey Ned, the way I get my best tree shots is to wear my camouflage gear and very quietly sneak up on them...

Sorry my friend, I just couldn't resist.

Oi, mate, no worries. Thanks for the laugh!

All the best.

Ned
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:45 AM   #10

Ned, Several weeks ago I was on my way home from work and saw a barn with fog all around it about a foot or two off the ground. The sun was coming up behind it to the right. The oly way to get the pic of the barn and fog was to also have the raising sun in the pic. I did not have a tripod so it was not possible to shoot a wide bracket and then layer them together. I tried many ways but could not get a picture to look even remotely like what I was seeing with my eyes! The barn was way too big for "fill"flash and the sun to bright to expose the barn correctly. Alas the scene came and went as did I with no pic to show for it. So in a way I can understand what you are saying about the trees.
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote