Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 22, 2010, 7:14 PM   #1

Default K-r?

What about the K-r? Any idea when it will be available? Looks to be an upgrade from the K-x.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:15 PM   #2

They say it will ship in October (not far away at all!).

I'm leaning in that direction for myself, but I'm not so sure it's a significant upgrade from the Kx. Since I don't have a Kx and there's several upgrades the Kr has that I'd really, really like, I'm seriously thinking about one. I've wanted a white storm-trooper Kx for a long time, so getting a white Kr is even better. But then, I really like the OD green Kx also, so who knows.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:10 AM   #3

Harriet, I understand your thinking, because it's sort of where I'm going, too. I might yet be blown away by the K-5, but I'm intrigued by the K-r. It sounds like the K-r has the improved autofocus, plenty of pixels, and high ISO is supposed to be good. Any time I shoot in conditions where Weather Resistance is a major issue, IQ is generally not going to be my first priority as opposed to just being able to get the shot.'

Coupling the K-7 as an all-round camera with the K-r for specific uses sounds very intriguing. I'm going to wait till I see more on performance before I do anything.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:23 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Harriet and Paul.

I have a sneaking suspicion when more info about the K5 is released and we get some reviews/etc that one is going to be awfully tempting
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Harriet and Paul.

I have a sneaking suspicion when more info about the K5 is released and we get some reviews/etc that one is going to be awfully tempting

LOL.....You may be right. I wasn't able to resist either the K20 or the K7....

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Harriet and Paul.

Wait a minute - you aren't supposed to FEED my CBA. I'm trying SO hard to be somewhat controlled about it all.

By the way, my husband has been laughing, listening to me talk about these two new cameras. If it were up to him he'd just buy me the K5 and be done with it. I couldn't ask for a better guy.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:58 AM   #7

Isn't fun to think about new toys, It's a real upgrade to my K2000

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:02 AM   #8
Super Moderator

No doubt they are both superb cameras. If I had no system attachments these 2 Pentax mid and upper cams would be very high on a short list. The bigger (.95 vs .85) 100% coverage pentaprism would be a big reason for me, and the handling of the magnesium body, i prefer that feel. Those things for me really add to the pleasure of shooting even if the image quality difference was negligible. That part we will have to wait and see on, I expect good things out of that 16.2mp sensor, but the 12.4 in the kr has been a proven winner, so really can't go wrong imho
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:29 PM   #9

There is no controlling the CBA. It is going to happen no matter how hard your try to rehab from it.

I agree with Hards, K-5 is going to get allot of season pentax shooter to upgrade as it will be really hard to resist.

But for the OP,

The k-r and K-x looks to be pentax's entery level options. The k-r will be a bit more high end the the k-x. Kind of like the canon T1i and T2i. But you really can not go wrong with the sensor in the k-r or k-x, it is really excellent. Both the k-r and k-x will shoot excellent photos pretty sure iq will be about the same. Just come down to how much extra you want to spend for the k-r with the extra features.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:43 PM   #10

Just imagine how happy I am with my K-x after moving up from a Canon S3. It's like Christmas when you get your first bike!

Kenny
Ex-Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote