Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 23, 2010, 6:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Too expensive for me if it's going to sell at MSRP.

I'll think about it if it sells at where it's rumored to start ($1300 range), but I want to see not only reviews, but sample pictures compared to either or both the K7 and K20.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Kr or Kx. But first I want to do a couple of more tests on my K7 and perhaps send it in. I think it has a problem but I can't put my finger on what's going on.
What's going on with your K7? Mines in for service right now. Can't wait to get it back.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:46 AM   #12

I've been thinking of getting a few faster lenses but if the k-5 is as good in high iso's those lenses can wait. I once stepped up from p&s to dslr because of the great high (400-800) iso you could get. A great 3200 would be incredible and going higher would be as perfect as possible.

So yep, I'm going to update my k20.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:47 AM   #13

Kjell, I will buy your K20D at an extremely high price if you will do the same with mine!

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
I will, if reviews don't talk about poor IQ at higher ISOs. I'd need usable 3200 (usable=very low noise and good DR), otherwise I can stick with what I've got.
Then there is the money question. There's no money in the bucket right now, so it will be some time before I have to decide. Hopefully Pentax and the dealers meet me half way with a lowered price.
Anyone interested in paying a lot for a well used K20D?

Kjell
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:18 PM   #14

Sorry guys, I would love a K20D but only at a bargain price. I am more likely to get a KR than a K5 since it is hard for me to justify the stiff price. I have a K10D for the rugged stuff so a KR would be my low light indoor camera.

I would prefer a K5 but I don't think I can spend that much (I could get a KR and a lens for that price)
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:51 PM   #15

Tony - I can't put a finger on the K7's problem. It's very frustrating!

The pictures I get with it are often blurrier than they should be at high shutter speeds. I can understand blurry pictures at slow shutter speeds, but not at the speeds I'm talking about - like 1/800 and above.

I figure blurry pictures are normally caused by either camera shake or focus problems.

Yesterday I went up to the top of a parking structure and took some comparison shots with the K7 and K20 using the A*300 and the DA*300. I switched lenses around on both cameras. It was strange - I got at least one sharp shot with both lens/camera combination. But I only got one or 2 sharp pictures with the K7 while most of the pictures with the K20 were better, when comparing the same lens. I can tell that either the A*300 is less sharp than the DA* or else I'm way out of practice for manual focusing (or a combination of both, it's been a long time since I did any manual focusing).

So today I took the same combination out with a tripod. I'll never quite get things right when doing comparisons - I forgot that the L-bracket for the K20 was on the K100. So I put the K7 on a tripod and shot with the SR off, while the K20 was used hand-held exclusively. The slowest shutter speed I used was 1/500, about what I can manage right now for hand-holding a 300 mm lens. I shot the K7 mostly on a tripod and the difference wasn't huge between the two cameras for the most part. Then I turned SR off on the K20 and shot a series - as I expected there wasn't much difference between the SR and the non-SR shots when shutter speeds were 1/800 or faster, even at 1/500 it wasn't that different (though there was a bit of softness). I did better manually focusing but still saw some differences between lenses, I need to clean the A*300 and see if it somehow got slightly smeared (always a possibility).

The K7 was all over the place - for the most part the tripod mounted pictures were not much different than the K20, but one or two were off. The ones that looked a bit blurrier were at shutter speeds faster than 1/1600. I also hand-held a bunch, both with SR on and off. What was all over the place was that one would be blurrier but sometimes it was the one with SR and sometimes without SR - it wasn't consistent at all.

So now I have no idea - I couldn't spot any obvious AF problem (though I did better manually focusing today) and it doesn't seem to matter whether the SR is on or not. All I can say is that yesterday I got far more sharp pictures out of the K20 than the K7. Today, with the K7 on a tripod the difference wasn't as great but the K20 was hand-held. After yesterday I no longer think the problem is my shooting, something I had thought might be the problem (always my first thought) - but I was using shutter speeds high enough that camera shake shouldn't be a problem, and I didn't have trouble with the K20.

While I haven't ruled out AF problems totally, I question that since I used both manual and AF lenses. I know about the shutter problems that Falk has documented, but I've been seeing the problem at much higher shutter speeds than he found it.

It might be connected to SR, but it didn't seem consistently better or worse with it on or off. So I really don't know what to say is wrong.

I think I'll pick some different lens combination for tomorrow because I get tired using a 300 lens for any length of time. I chose the 300 because I wanted to see if I could do as well with the A* as I do with the DA*, in case I have to sell the DA* because of my shoulder. I'm afraid that he'll say whatever is wrong with the shoulder is minor, give it more time, don't carry a heavy pack and he'll see me in 4 months.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:57 PM   #16

Harriet, I have decided to not carry my Camera Backpack any more, I only carry a Powepro Toploader Pro 75 AW, so I can only carry two lenses, one on the body and one in the front pocket. I have a Gorilla Pod in a loop on the side of the case in case I need a tripod and that is about it.

This cuts down on the weight and cuts down on any lens decision, I make do with what I take with me and so far, no regrets. I usually have a 300mm on the body and a wide angle in the front pocket.

Tom
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:55 AM   #17

Harriet - Certainly hope you track down the problem soon, and that it is not a costly repair...

To answer the original question about upgrading: Both KR and K5 look like great cameras, that can do far more than my KM. But KM is paid for, and there are no funds in our family budget for any upgrades now. So will stick with the one I have...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:56 AM   #18

Hi all,
my (up until now) trusty K10 has developed a "memory card error" which the Pentax tech said could be terminal. I may be upgrading before I had thought I might.
:-(

:-)

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:35 AM   #19

It would have to be amazing in IQ and high ISO capability and most important, vastly improved AF for me to spring for it since I was kind of disappointed with the last two upgrades I have made.

Quit working on improved HD video and produce the best APSC CAMERA out there!

This reminds me of cell phone technology, they now do everything, and the extras keep getting better and better, but none of them are very good phones!

Tom
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennacac View Post
It would have to be amazing in IQ and high ISO capability and most important, vastly improved AF for me to spring for it since I was kind of disappointed with the last two upgrades I have made.

Quit working on improved HD video and produce the best APSC CAMERA out there!

This reminds me of cell phone technology, they now do everything, and the extras keep getting better and better, but none of them are very good phones!

Tom
I think the problem is Tom that Sony tried that approach and produced some excellent cameras but 'san video' and they bombed for that reason. The market demands video ... I demanded video when I bought the K7 ! However I have hardly ever used it. Pentax are already well behind now with the K5 having no AF controls, whereas the 7D and now the D7,000 have pretty much everything you need.

You are probably right .... but the masses dictate.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote