Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:50 PM   #21

I haven't read a ton about it yet to know for sure. This has been a long week after my first treatment. Much worse than I had expected I would do. But, I do know that when I first started looking for a dSLR back in 2006 I was disappointed I couldn't get one with video. When the K7 came out with it, it was very tempting, but I hadn't had my K20 that long so passed on it.

I have certainly not outgrown my K20. Especially not using it for the past 5 months. And, I would certainly want to see if the price would drop some. But, it is on my radar now that I see it's out.

Plus, I'm about to go out on disability shortly for an indefinite period of time. I should have full paychecks the whole time, but it would be scary to spend that much money while not working. The time will at least allow me some time to enjoy life for a while and maybe start focusing on my photography seriously on the days I feel good.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:43 AM   #22

come on guys, if none of us ever bite, that price will never drop!

i wish u the best of luck patty, hang in there. You;re in our hearts! Keep postin pics when you can
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:47 PM   #23

I'll be upgrading to a K-5 by early next year if those preliminary shots, high ISO performance and videos of AF performance, etc. hold true. As Scott/Kjell indicated, I could dearly use faster AF, FPS and high ISO performance for wildlife/nature photography. I've got a serious investment in optics so switching out isn't high on my list. The K-5 is not going to improve my skill set, but do suspect it will certainly improve the keeper rate.

In addition, weather sealing is very important for my needs as a field camera, plus for peace of mind that the electronics of the camera are not compromised. This is true with some of the conditions I shoot in, especially in humid/wet or dry/dusty conditions. No fear...

Cheers,
Marc

“The camera is only a tool: the image is the product of your mind and vision.”
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:22 PM   #24

the test images from the k5 over on pentax forums are pretty damn good - with some liberal sue of noise reduction even the iso 51200 would be useable for b+w grainy shots or for small prints or new articles where you simply need an image - iso 12800 looks pretty damn good and though not a iso 6400 guessing from whats there that you could use it at that level for large prints - am very impressed - damn i cant make my mind up if i should get it or wait for next one - will wait for some reviews and see the dynamic range first i think
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:15 PM   #25

iso 51200 from a jpg and then run through some noise reduction - i'm calling this as pretty damn impressive

got photo from pentax forums not mine - some lucky guy at photokina
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:35 PM   #26

Guess you have a point NMRecording. So, come on guys! Start purchasing.

Went for a ride today and the K5 came up. Not by me, I swear. Although, when my husband said it was only for people who really wanted video and a larger sensor, I did speak up and say that would be me for the video. I'm really okay with my K20, but the video would be nice. Whenever I want video I have to borrow his G9 and carry two cameras. We'll see.

Patty

(Thanks for the wishes NMR and others. I am feeling much better now that I'm beginning to feel human again after the first infusion. And, the pressure off that I've definitely made the decision to take time off from work. Five months of work, appts and worrying and recovering from surgeries has done a number on me. The tumor is gone and it's time to start working on doing what makes me happy for a while.)
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:40 PM   #27

retail therapy never fails to improve you state of mind =) and the bigger the purchase the more the effect hehehe =) - k5 looks like a worthy upgrade to the k20
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Sep 26, 2010, 4:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
iso 51200 from a jpg and then run through some noise reduction - i'm calling this as pretty damn impressive

got photo from pentax forums not mine - some lucky guy at photokina
Hi John,

I copied a full-sized jpg from the same series just to see how it would post process with the tools I normally use. I don't know if it had high ISO NR turned on, but it looked better than the typical 6400 shot from my K-7 or K20, and I could PP it to look surprisingly good at a reduced size. I wouldn't shoot a lot at this speed, because it took a lot of PP to get there, but it's doable for an occasional exceptionally good shot, and I'd say that it came out good enough to print to at least 8x10 I have yet to get a K20 or K-7 6400 shot to look as good. . . and I've tried.

This was with preproduction firmware (v0.30), so it's not necessarily indicative of how a production model will shoot, and I don't know what the NR was set to, but it does look good.

After the Kx, I was hoping for a usable ISO 6400 and pretty clean 3200 from the K-5, and this indicates that the K-5 has a real chance of delivering on this.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:09 AM   #29

Further post processing. When I think of the low light fast shutter speeds I could get with this, I really want one.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:44 AM   #30

if you look in that thread now some people processed teh raw and upped the exposure but +2ev taking it to a whopping iso 204800 threw in some advanced noise reduction and the photo's were better than these - INSANE!! this camera can probably take pictures with the lens cap still firmly in place! =)

think i'm gonna learn to live with the smaller buffer and hope the faster write speeds of the new sdxc cards (when it gets the firmware update for them) will clear the buffer faster letting me get similar performance as the k-7 - as this cameras autofocus and low light capabilities just seem outstanding
Pentax Photo Gallery

Last edited by John.Pattullo; Sep 26, 2010 at 8:48 AM.