Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:00 PM   #1

Default Need Help, How to set Higher shutter Speeds with flash on with Kx

Hi,
Im planning to do some indoor model photography (children), and want to take some action snaps etc.. Jumping high. I have 2 old light sources, and a manual flash only. However the Kx allows only 1/180s Shutter speed when flash is on. I checked in M mode also, but still the same. I read that if I change to auto ev compensation, the M mode should work with higher shutter speeds, But couldnt find a place in the kx to change the ev compensation to auto. Please help, and fast too

btw..hi guys and gals, I was really busy in RL, so was away cos im doing 2 jobs
Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:36 AM   #2

Hi Chesslanka,

Unless you have unusually bright indoor lights, you shouldn't have any problem with subject motion using the flash with the 1/180 synch speed. If the flash is supplying the majority of the light, the short flash duration of 1/20000 to probably a slow end of 1/1000 will freeze the motion, despite the slow shutter speed.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 2:19 AM   #3

Out of curiosity though is it possible to use faster speeds with a flash on Pentax? On my Oly bodies in M with my old Vivitar shoe mount or Soligor ring mount I can set the speed to as fast as possible. Around 250 on the E-500 and 320 on the E-1. Only reason for it is to cut the light to a minimum because doing macro hand held with manual glass i can only stop it down so much and still see what I'm doing.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 2:28 AM   #4

Not unless you have an external dedicated flash that specificly syncs with high shutter speeds. 1/180 is as fast as you can sync without a dedicated flash. I had that problem when I was trying to use an older flash with my ist DL. I thought there was something wrong with the flash until I realized my shutter was st to fast . When I cranked back my shutter my flash worked fine.
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Out of curiosity though is it possible to use faster speeds with a flash on Pentax? On my Oly bodies in M with my old Vivitar shoe mount or Soligor ring mount I can set the speed to as fast as possible. Around 250 on the E-500 and 320 on the E-1. Only reason for it is to cut the light to a minimum because doing macro hand held with manual glass i can only stop it down so much and still see what I'm doing.

John

K7 max is 1/180 and, disappointingly, so is the K5. Thought they might have got it up to 1/250.

The competition is ahead of their game here :
Nikon D7,000 : X = 1/250 s; synchronizes with shutter at 1/320 s or slower (flash range drops at speeds between 1/250 and 1/320 s).
Canon 7D : using the 580EX it can utilise sync speeds up to 1/8,000 (reduced range).

This is a nice site for explanations http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/syncspeed.htm (as is Strobist if you want to venture there - it's addictive) !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesslanka View Post
Hi,
Im planning to do some indoor model photography (children), and want to take some action snaps etc.. Jumping high. I have 2 old light sources, and a manual flash only. However the Kx allows only 1/180s Shutter speed when flash is on. I checked in M mode also, but still the same. I read that if I change to auto ev compensation, the M mode should work with higher shutter speeds, But couldnt find a place in the kx to change the ev compensation to auto. Please help, and fast too

btw..hi guys and gals, I was really busy in RL, so was away cos im doing 2 jobs
Just want to mention that you need to be very careful when using an older flash not meant to be used with the newer digital cameras. There triger voltage can be high enough to fry your circuits, sometimes immediately, sometimes it takes a a while, so be careful. Its a good idea to test the voltage from the center pin and ground while the flash is charged, using a volt meter. check here for a list of flashes and there voltagehttp://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html some good info here.
BTW if you have a compatible flash with a high sync mode like the Pentax 540 you can use higher shutter speeds with flash.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:53 PM   #7

i very much doubt the 7d can actually syncronise at 1/8000th - thats high speed sync mode which the k-7 can do too but the flash is actually flashing many times as the shutter plane moves down

the reason for the 180 sync rate is that is the fastest the shutter can go with the entire sensor exposed rather just part of it

had hoped the k5 would improve this to 250 but guess they have stuck with the same shutter mechanism that was in the k7
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:37 PM   #8

So you can't set a faster shutter speed or no one has tried? Oly sets the synch speed at 160 but I can shoot twice that on the E-1 and still have everything exposed.

John
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:43 PM   #9

you'll need a high speed sync external flash to go faster than 1/180
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 1:48 PM   #10

Interesting, that's actually a drawback to me.

John