Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:25 PM   #11

Ira nice series!

The cold weather is a real problem for shooting wildlife in the winter months. I assume that in the height of winter you will have little light to shoot with as well.

I find that when I go out in February to try and shoot the eagles that congregate at the mouth of the Merrimack River to feed, that my fingers get so cold that I cannot feel the shutter release button and wind up missing a lot of opportunities (I have Raynaud's syndrome).

I have found that putting chemical hand warmers inside my gloves helps. I will be looking forward to seeing what solutions you come up with there to help in the bitter cold of -40f.

When I was in New Zealand this year they have gloves that are made with a blend of Merino wool and Possum fur. Possums are the only animal other than the polar bear that have hollow fur that makes the gloves incredibly warm. They can be ordered on line. A well known brand is Icebreaker.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Ira nice series!

The cold weather is a real problem for shooting wildlife in the winter months. I assume that in the height of winter you will have little light to shoot with as well.

I find that when I go out in February to try and shoot the eagles that congregate at the mouth of the Merrimack River to feed, that my fingers get so cold that I cannot feel the shutter release button and wind up missing a lot of opportunities (I have Raynaud's syndrome).

I have found that putting chemical hand warmers inside my gloves helps. I will be looking forward to seeing what solutions you come up with there to help in the bitter cold of -40f.

When I was in New Zealand this year they have gloves that are made with a blend of Merino wool and Possum fur. Possums are the only animal other than the polar bear that have hollow fur that makes the gloves incredibly warm. They can be ordered on line. A well known brand is Icebreaker.

Lou
Lou, since I am north of the Arctic circle things will go dark by November and no more real daylight until late January. I will have to try to get pictures of local, indoor, events over that time. Thanks for the glove info, I will look into that.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:08 PM   #13

That looks like it's too early to be that cold. Though I would have gladly traded your icy pond for the 108 temperature at work (downtown LA was 112 just after noon!). Now I wouldn't trade our 50's in the middle of winter for your -40C though.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:09 PM   #14

Our muskrats send their WARM sympathy to your very cold friend.
Very nicely photographed series! Great use of the available light...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:15 PM   #15

Here is what it looks like here today. Winter is here.
Attached Images

FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:18 PM   #16

Wow Ira. I like winter, I really do. But snow in September? That's a bit early for my taste.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:47 AM   #17

Beautiful shot! Right now I'd gladly trade you your couple of inches of snow for our 90 plus temperatures (at least it didn't get up to over 100 yesterday). Now that offer only lasts while our temperatures are over 85 - as soon as it cools down I'll gladly keep what I have.

Out of curiosity - do you have a car up there?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:55 PM   #18

I enjoyed your "Muskrat Ramble" (remember the song by Peggy Lee?), Because they are so commonly associated with southern swamps, I would not have expected to see "dem mushrats" that far north! Thanks for the posting - and keep those hands warm!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote