Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:51 PM   #1

Default Something different...

Since I haven't been able to get out to take photos lately, I've been going through some of my older photos. here's a couple I don't think I've shared with you. Armadillos are rather slow clumsy creatures. I understand they have very poor eyesight. I followed this guy around for several minuets while trying to get a decent shot of him. He thought he was hidden here by this tree until my flash went off. then he ran (waddled) off across the field and down into a culvert, out the other end and into some heavy brush.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Sep 26, 2010 at 2:55 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2010, 4:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
I understand they have very poor eyesight.
Yes, but very keen noses. If you approach from downwind, they will practically walk into you. The field guide mentions that they will leap vertically into the air when startled. I've seen this in the above scenario, but they failed to mention their surprised squeal and the 180 they make in midair before scuttling off in the opposite direction!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:48 PM   #3

Very cool pics GW. I think of Texas as armadillo country. I didn't know they're found in Florida.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:00 AM   #4

GW , you remind me of a time long ago when I had become aquainted with a fellow from Louisiana. I lived in Indiana at the time. I had ask him how his day had gone and he said that he had been rolling oposums. I asked him what he meant and he said he had accidently ranover a oposum. I asked him how that had anything to do with rolling them and he explained that in Louisiana often thime the Armadillos would roll into a ball just as you hit them and they bounced off the tire and rolled across or down the road ! Thus "rolling" armadillos ! So equated squishing a oposum with rolling an armadillo...................now let me ask you this............is it true that sometimes armadillos will roll when you hit them with your car?.............
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:37 AM   #5

I sometimes forget that we do live far away, never saw one of those in the free.
Great pictures and story GW.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Very cool pics GW. I think of Texas as armadillo country. I didn't know they're found in Florida.
Armadillos West of the Mississippi River spread naturally from Mexico. Supposedly they can cross streams by inflating their intestines with air, but the Mississippi River is a pretty formidable barrier. Legend has it that some escaped from a Ringling Brothers Circus train wreck in Florida sometime before WWII, and from there spread throughout the Southeast (but that may not have been the only source).

Last edited by penolta; Sep 27, 2010 at 12:41 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 2:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bock1965 View Post
GW , you remind me of a time long ago when I had become aquainted with a fellow from Louisiana. I lived in Indiana at the time. I had ask him how his day had gone and he said that he had been rolling oposums. I asked him what he meant and he said he had accidently ranover a oposum. I asked him how that had anything to do with rolling them and he explained that in Louisiana often thime the Armadillos would roll into a ball just as you hit them and they bounced off the tire and rolled across or down the road ! Thus "rolling" armadillos ! So equated squishing a oposum with rolling an armadillo...................now let me ask you this............is it true that sometimes armadillos will roll when you hit them with your car?.............

To tell you the truth, This is the first time I've heard of that. Could be true but, I've never witnessed it.

Old Sep 27, 2010, 2:27 PM   #8

Thank you Pen, for the added info. I always appreciate your input.

Thanks guys for all the comments. I appreciate them also.

Old Sep 27, 2010, 3:49 PM   #9

Gee, you mean that armadillos actually move? I can't think of when I ever saw one moving - saw a great many dead in the middle of the road during my 5 years living in Texas.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:43 PM   #10

Definitely more exotic than a muskrat!
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses